• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

RE: Dumping. I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!

RE: Dumping. I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!

Hi Everyone,

I have Crohn's disease, Short Bowel Syndrome with 3' of remaining small intestine and no colon due to Ulcerative Colitis. Absorption & dehydration are a huge issue. For reasons that are way too lengthy to mention now, I had to search for an adjunct medication to help me with the dumping that my current medication isn't covering. (I am currently getting bi-weekly depo I.M. injections of Sandostatin (30mg).

Saltsticks electrolyte capsules. You can buy them online. I take them throughout the day. NO ADJUNCT MEDICATION HAS WORKED THIS WELL. NOT CODEINE, NOT OXYCODONE, NOT TRAMADOL. I did some research and here's how I understand them to work:

When you're dehydrated, which I'm imagining most of us are, your body doesn't produce enough HCL (hydrochloric acid) in the stomach. Low HCL production = insufficient release of magnesium salts. Insufficient release of magnesium salts = poor absorption. Which then will lead to dehydration and the cycle just continues. If I take the capsules throughout the day I don't dump, I'm not weak and tired, I'm not in pain from lactic acidosis and my energy, which I never have, is through the roof.

IronMan participants swear by this because they have to eat and drink WHILE racing, which is not conducive to sufficient digestion. Their reason may be different but their result is the same as ours; poor absorption and digestion.

Maybe this can help someone else :)

Last edited by a moderator: