• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reaching my limit and oh-so overwhelmed

Where to begin? I just can't seem to find any strength any more. I am a young twenty-something girl currently attending local college (after moving back home with my parents, being on my own for less than a year) where I have no friends, nor any activities to participate in (it's a very small school). Where I live is very strict, a sort of "bible-belt" if you will, and I do not hold similar beliefs to the vast majority of the community. I have not met anyone I've connected with, nor do I have anyone to turn to, as the only friend I have is three hours away at university. At first, not having a support system outside my family (who are wonderful) worked alright. I have kept my focus on school and am working towards attending university in the fall.

However, I have recently experienced the worst Crohn's flare in my short life and am feeling the heavy toll of the lack of any support outside my family life. The prednisone my doctor prescribed has given me so many side-effects: depression, increased anxiety (when I already feel less capable of handling stress), headaches (which lead to migraines), chest pain, sleep loss, restlessness, loss of focus. All without the desired result of reducing my inflammation. I am looking at having to be on the steroids for another week (at least) and am at the point in school where I have to study for exams, finals, prepare presentations and papers galore, but with all the physical and mental issues I am dealing with I am at such a complete loss for strength, motivation, that getting up in the morning is an accomplishment.

I don't really know what to do or think or feel. I might as well replace my brain with a fried egg for all its worth now.

Any time you could take to give a little advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Call you doc and let him know what you are going through. Some of these side effects may be of concern. Also, please ask him about taking a daily probiotic (Natren Healthy Trinity is an excellent one) and increase to a few a day. Get some good bacteria in your system and that can help improve your immunity. Perhaps you can begin walking everyday for at least 20 minutes. that may help release some stress and get some fresh air and get circulation moving. It is very key to watch diet, exercise, take meds and stay focused on minute improvements, so you feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It can be difficult, but you can do it. Begin researching healthy diets and focus on improving yours, so you can reduce inflammation. Feel better!

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Princess,
It is a lonely place with crohns but you do have supportive parents which is a big plus.
Some of your symptoms are suggestive of steroid side effects and it would be a good thing to talk to your doctor about this. There are things that could help you.
Exams, finals etc take their toll on fit as well as not so fit people and is a rite of passage in this life., not always easy but you can do it.
It could be that with some help from your doctor you could be feeling better.
Best wishes
Trysha