• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reactions to Azathioprine

Hey guys,

I had surgery back in September last year and was given a "honeymoon" period of 6 months with no meds.

I recently had my follow up colonoscopy and they decided that I needed to start my Azathioprine again but I'm having some strange reactions to it and want to know if it's normal? When I first went on it, I was fine.

I was told to resume a dosage of 150mg a day as before my surgery and my IBD nurse said that it won't take effect for 9-10 weeks (reminding me there is no quick fix) but I swear, since I started back on it a week ago I've had the following side effects:

- Constant nausea (And I mean 24 hours a day)
- Weakness
- Fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Headaches
- Cramping and explosive bowel movements (but not a liquid stool)

I had my bloods taken this morning and I checked in with the IBD nurse to see if it's just my body adjusting to the Aza again but I'm a little worried (no report back from her yet).

It's hard to justify taking the time off work and I'm starting to lose weight again because I constantly feel sick :( I worked so hard after surgery to put it back on again too.

Any advice?

I am wondering if it could be a flare? Ask your doctor if maybe there is something else they could put you on. Keep us updated.

Hey ronroush7,

So I heard back from the IBD nurse this afternoon, I'm being asked to come off Aza completely for 2 days, then start again but only on 50g a day, so a third of what I was previously on.

I'm then due to have more blood work next week to see whether that changes anything but I didn't get told about my blood tests today. I guess there wasn't much to report??

I'll see how I feel in the next few days but I really hope that the nausea goes away because it's really getting to me now

Hey ronroush7,

So I heard back from the IBD nurse this afternoon, I'm being asked to come off Aza completely for 2 days, then start again but only on 50g a day, so a third of what I was previously on.

I'm then due to have more blood work next week to see whether that changes anything but I didn't get told about my blood tests today. I guess there wasn't much to report??

I'll see how I feel in the next few days but I really hope that the nausea goes away because it's really getting to me now
I hope you feel better real soon.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, I had my blood tests back last week (More this week) and it seems that I was on too high a dose and my white cell count was really low. That's why I was feeling weak and nausea's and had flu like symptoms.

I was told to come off for a few days, then start again at a 1/3 or my dose, so only 50mg a day and I've started feeling much better. No more sickness, lots of energy and my appetite has returned full swing!

We'll see how things are going when the results come back from my next blood test, but hopefully, we've figured it out now.

Thanks again for all the help :)