• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ready to fight these battles and win the war!

So I was diagnosed with a severe case of ulcerative colitis end of summer 2015. 2 week hospital stay complete with steroids, remicade and inadequate hospital foods. The second my inflammation decreased I booked it out of there to continue my own fight and research with this disease. Keep in mind I am a medical student who supports modern healthcare, but my experience of being a patient in this system has opened my eyes to it's flaws. Treating symptoms and healing them are not the same thing.

Once I tapered off the Roids and horrible symptoms of Remicade, I began taking
Supplements: Chromium, b12, iron, Vit C, Vit D, adult multivitamins
Drinking: More water, Aloe vera, Slippery Elm bark tea, Green matcha tea, Licorice root tea, Probiotics, Carrot/veggie juice
Consuming: Bone broth( homemade), gelatin, salmon, kimichi, keffir, probiotic yogurt, kombucha, fruits, vegetables

EVERY DAY!

Most importantly I have now become an advocate for use of medical marijuana! I don't care what the ignorant say.. It helps inflammation tremendously. After doing research on RSO (Rick simpson's oil) which is a concentrated extract of THC/CBD from the plant and consuming the oil since I was released from hospital, I can only promise that it has the most profound benefits of any treatment I've undergone. I'm not a smoker but taking one hit immediately halts my urgency, pain and discomfort. Eating the medicine has longer lasting effects. I'm in the process of getting a green card and using this oil for maintenance. If I didn't have this option during a flare up, I'd definitely have to turn back to pharmaceutical drugs.

Strictly eliminated: Most breads, starches, sweets, alcohol, fried foods.

Since my diagnoses I have had a couple of flare ups due to testing what works for my body and what does not. Lot's of trial and error if you want to solve anything in life. What I've learned is if I stick to a disciplined diet promoting cooling and healing of the inflammation (NOT putting in food that will elongate the recovery process) and NOT give into my habitual cravings- results in remission. The next step is maintaining this diet and slowly adding bulkier foods for weight gain. Exercise, peace of mind with yourself and the world plays a huge factor in healing as well.

My conclusion is that MY symptoms of UC were triggered by inner emotional issues, stress and a consistently poor diet. I now have reason to believe overgrowth of Candida/parasites, the sugars, alcohols, coffee, breads I'd consume played a huge role for inflammation. I'm also taking my lymphatic system into account. Detoxifying has been working wonders! The second I stray from my routine or indulge simply due to being in remission, is when my flare ups happen.

While traveling in East Africa this winter, I had to go back on the prednisone because my herbs and diet weren't readily available there, but if I was prepared, there wouldn't have been a problem. You gotta take responsibility for your own illness. Do the research, share the knowledge and apply it. My challenge is always going to be discipline so I'm viewing this whole issue as a catalyst towards my growth as a person in general.