• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Really bad gut after dentistry?

I had dental treatment involving numbing the mouth with an injection about ten days ago, and as well as lots of pain (now easing), I've had diarrhoea that seems to be getting worse, not better. I'm just wondering whether this could be connected with the drugs the dentist uses? Has anybody else found their Crohns gets worse after dental treatment?

When I was 4 (2000) or so, I had really bad cavities and during a routine check-up, my dentist at the time had decided that all of my teeth needed to be removed. I'm not kidding. All of my (baby) teeth at once. He was telling my parents how I am going to have to do an all-liquid type diet because I won't be able to chew after the procedure and getting me ready for it. My parents knew something wasn't right because baby teeth fall out on their own anyway and asked him if it was actually necessary, he was honest in that it wasn't so they didn't allow him to go through with it because they just thought it was cruel to such unnecessary surgery on a kid in kindergarten.

When I was 8 I went to the same dentist for my annual check-up and he told my mom she wasn't allowed in the room. I have a bad gag reflex so it takes a bit longer for me to do the X-rays than it would an average appointment. I guess this day he was in a particularly bad mood because he wrapped his hand around my throat and forced it closed during the x-ray. I couldn't breathe and tears were pouring down my face. . I didn't go see a dentist for over 10 years after that because I was just too scared.

Last edited:
I had dental treatment involving numbing the mouth with an injection about ten days ago, and as well as lots of pain (now easing), I've had diarrhoea that seems to be getting worse, not better. I'm just wondering whether this could be connected with the drugs the dentist uses? Has anybody else found their Crohns gets worse after dental treatment?
I don't know if injections cause diarrhoea but last time I went to the dentist, I did mention recurring mouth ulcers and he reassured me it didn't look like oral cancer. Crohn's can involve frequent mouth ulcers as well as increased tooth decay due to acid reflux. More frequent visits to the dentist for nervous patients like me are no fun especially when it means another root canal at the dental hospital. I would make sure your dentist is kept up to date with all your medical conditions.