• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reasons for dairy & gluten sensitivity

Dairy Free and Gluten Free

This post really was well written by my sister in law, who looked at the scientific reasons why a lot of Crohnies tend to be sensitive to Dairy and GLuten... Let me know what you think

The discussion of an appropriate diet for any CROHNIE must include the foods that cause paralleled symptoms CROHNIES ALREADY experience, such as milk/dairy products which can cause severe abdominal pain, diarrhea & bloating to name a few; although some foods causing side effects already being experienced by a CROHNIE should be excised from their diets, the solution is not so simple. Many diets such as a dairy free diet or gluten free diet alleviate any ADDITIONAL painful IBDer symptoms, while at the same time causing entirely or additional nutritional deficiencies among other issues; thus this puts IBDers in between a rock and a hard place.

So what does it mean to be dairy free or more particularly LACTOSE free for a CROHNIE belly? Well what is Lactose? Lactose is a sugar in milk and milk products. The body breaks lactose (a more complex sugar) into two more simple sugars called galactose and glucose.

LactASE not lactOSE is a digestive enzyme (enzymes are proteins used to cause some CHANGE in the body; in this instance DIGESTIVE enzymes assist/catalyze the breaking down of food into smaller components the body can use). Lactose intolerance results from an individual not producing enough of the lactase enzyme in the SMALL INTESTINE (one of the problem areas for CROHNIES), thus this results in not being able to digest lactose at all or completely. Attempting to digest lactose when one is deemed lactose intolerant can cause: diarrhea, bloating, gas & abdominal pain (side effects that resemble much of an IBDers side effects). Research has indicated that CROHNIES tend to have malabsorption issues with lactose among other things, thus the reasoning behind excluding or reducing the amount of dairy in an IBDers diet. The malabsorption issue is a CROHNIE issue, which is the same thing people who are lactose intolerant experience. It is suggested that lactose be excised or reduced from a CROHNIES diet. Because dairy/lactose products supply our body with essential nutrients (Vitamin A & D) a suggested replacement for lactose is LACTAID (dairy/lactose containing products that contain lactase to make up for the lack of lactase produced in a lactose intolerant individual).

Another diet popular with CROHNIES is the gluten free diets. Traditionally a gluten free diet was the hallmark treatment for Celiac Disease (an autoimmune disease that is characterized by the lining of the SMALL INTESTINE being damaged and not being able to absorb parts of food, this is caused by the reaction as a result of gluten consumption). Gluten is a protein (the building blocks of life that are made up of a chain of amino acids) found in rye, wheat and barley.

Many CROHNIES tend to have many, if not all, of the negative reactions/symptoms to gluten; this is called GLUTEN SENSITIVITY (what health care professionals would diagnose anyone that does not have Celiac Disease but is experiencing negative side effects as a result of consuming gluten). Although there is now a name for it, little is still understood about “gluten sensitivity”; only thing for sure is that is not a wheat allergy and not due to Celiac disease.

So do gluten free diets help with: “gluten sensitivity”? Yes. However there is a big misconception about gluten free diets; that is that they mean weight loss, this is not the case. Furthermore, a gluten free diet is not necessarily synonymous with healthy. More importantly for CROHNIES to know is that the diet causes nutrient deficiencies already experienced by CROHNIES such as: vitamin D, vitamin B-12 and iron.

Ultimately there is no “right” diet for EVERY CROHNIE, what works for one may not work for another. A HYBRID of various diets is suggested.

To read the references that were used to make this post and the post itself, click here: http://thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org/the-dairylactose-free-gluten-free-diets-and-a-crohnie-belly/#

I have been gluten free for 6 years now. I have to disagree with the fact that they say people can become nutrient deficient from the diet. That is not true at all. Actually eating gluten free is Not all that different than eating a regular healthy diet. Now with having digestive issues, yes, that can complicate things. I mean I myself cannot eat many things as I cannot tolerate them. But even with my limited diet, I still am ok with my Vitamin levels. If you think about it the only thing that contains gluten is usually bread and certain carbs and most processed foods which are bad for you anyhow. You can substitute white and wheat bread with a rice based bread. There are several different types out there for people who want to eat bread but are GF(gluten Free). Also if you are a person who eats pasta, well there are many different pastas out there also that can be used that are GF.

I honestly believe it is a fallacy when they say the Gluten free diet causes nutirtional deficiencies. They even have cereals now( like rice chex, corn chex, etc..) that are just as vitamin fortified as any other cereal out there...

Now if a person is lacking vitamins due to crohns and not absorbing well, well this would happen whether eating GF or not.

This post really was well written by my sister in law, who looked at the scientific reasons why a lot of Crohnies tend to be sensitive to Dairy and GLuten... Let me know what you think

The discussion of an appropriate diet for any CROHNIE must include the foods that cause paralleled symptoms CROHNIES ALREADY experience, such as milk/dairy products which can cause severe abdominal pain, diarrhea & bloating to name a few; although some foods causing side effects already being experienced by a CROHNIE should be excised from their diets, the solution is not so simple. Many diets such as a dairy free diet or gluten free diet alleviate any ADDITIONAL painful IBDer symptoms, while at the same time causing entirely or additional nutritional deficiencies among other issues; thus this puts IBDers in between a rock and a hard place.

So what does it mean to be dairy free or more particularly LACTOSE free for a CROHNIE belly? Well what is Lactose? Lactose is a sugar in milk and milk products. The body breaks lactose (a more complex sugar) into two more simple sugars called galactose and glucose.

LactASE not lactOSE is a digestive enzyme (enzymes are proteins used to cause some CHANGE in the body; in this instance DIGESTIVE enzymes assist/catalyze the breaking down of food into smaller components the body can use). Lactose intolerance results from an individual not producing enough of the lactase enzyme in the SMALL INTESTINE (one of the problem areas for CROHNIES), thus this results in not being able to digest lactose at all or completely. Attempting to digest lactose when one is deemed lactose intolerant can cause: diarrhea, bloating, gas & abdominal pain (side effects that resemble much of an IBDers side effects). Research has indicated that CROHNIES tend to have malabsorption issues with lactose among other things, thus the reasoning behind excluding or reducing the amount of dairy in an IBDers diet. The malabsorption issue is a CROHNIE issue, which is the same thing people who are lactose intolerant experience. It is suggested that lactose be excised or reduced from a CROHNIES diet. Because dairy/lactose products supply our body with essential nutrients (Vitamin A & D) a suggested replacement for lactose is LACTAID (dairy/lactose containing products that contain lactase to make up for the lack of lactase produced in a lactose intolerant individual).

Another diet popular with CROHNIES is the gluten free diets. Traditionally a gluten free diet was the hallmark treatment for Celiac Disease (an autoimmune disease that is characterized by the lining of the SMALL INTESTINE being damaged and not being able to absorb parts of food, this is caused by the reaction as a result of gluten consumption). Gluten is a protein (the building blocks of life that are made up of a chain of amino acids) found in rye, wheat and barley.

Many CROHNIES tend to have many, if not all, of the negative reactions/symptoms to gluten; this is called GLUTEN SENSITIVITY (what health care professionals would diagnose anyone that does not have Celiac Disease but is experiencing negative side effects as a result of consuming gluten). Although there is now a name for it, little is still understood about “gluten sensitivity”; only thing for sure is that is not a wheat allergy and not due to Celiac disease.

So do gluten free diets help with: “gluten sensitivity”? Yes. However there is a big misconception about gluten free diets; that is that they mean weight loss, this is not the case. Furthermore, a gluten free diet is not necessarily synonymous with healthy. More importantly for CROHNIES to know is that the diet causes nutrient deficiencies already experienced by CROHNIES such as: vitamin D, vitamin B-12 and iron.

Ultimately there is no “right” diet for EVERY CROHNIE, what works for one may not work for another. A HYBRID of various diets is suggested.

To read the references that were used to make this post and the post itself, click here: http://thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org/the-dairylactose-free-gluten-free-diets-and-a-crohnie-belly/#