• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reassure me.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd ask for your opinion on this. I've been doing a slow prednisone taper, and I'm set to go down to 10 mg on Saturday. I was on 20 mg for two weeks; the first week, I was feeling okay -- minor cramping, but it was mostly negligible. However, the second week, I've noticed that my stool has grown considerably bloody.

But two weeks ago, when I was told to start tapering, I was told that my labs were actually good, with a rather low sed rate. So have things just been going downhill fast, or should I be concerned that I might have something else besides the Crohn's going on in there?

You may be tapering too fast. I did 20mg for a month, 17.5 for a couple weeks, 15 for a couple more, 12.5 for a couple and then 10. After that it was 7.5 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2.5 to 2 to 1.5 to 1 to .5

Maybe I should call my doctor back then. They seem pretty antsy to get me off of it quickly. It might also help if I was on some sort of immunomodulator, but I'm really only on prednisone, remicade, and pentasa. =/

How beneficial would a medicine like methotrexate be to me right now, do you think?

i'm not sure how it works mixing it with your other drugs, but meth has been a wonderdrug for me so far.

and welcome to the forums!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
hi pro,
i'm tapering too. have been on pred since sept. was on 20mg from xmas until two weeks ago, then 15mg for two weeks and started 10 two days ago. my GI plans to taper from 10 to 9,8,7,6..... similar to katie sue's taper. though i like hers better. wish i hadn't jumped from 20 to 10 so quickly. my body is fatigued.

i'm not sure how it works mixing it with your other drugs, but meth has been a wonderdrug for me so far.

and welcome to the forums!
I want to ask my doctor about it, because I've heard good thing like that about it. And thank you. :)

hi pro,
i'm tapering too. have been on pred since sept. was on 20mg from xmas until two weeks ago, then 15mg for two weeks and started 10 two days ago. my GI plans to taper from 10 to 9,8,7,6..... similar to katie sue's taper. though i like hers better. wish i hadn't jumped from 20 to 10 so quickly. my body is fatigued.
I wish I was going slower too, now that I see you guys are having more success with a slower taper. I sympathize with your fatigued feeling -- I get that a bit myself. =X

i think i missed welcoming you Procyon, so welcome :)

sorry you're struggling right now.. i would suggest seeing your doctor, or at least getting a message to him to tell him about the bleeding.

hope you're feeling ok soon.

Thanks, dingbat. I had actually joined once before, but for some reason the administrator deleted my account, and I thought it would be weird to make a second "welcome me" thread, haha.

The bleeding has mostly stopped on its own, but I think I'm gonna call my doctor today anyway, since my cramping has increased a bit. Still, I never really know what to do. My body has a way with these up and downs, so I never know whether to pester my doctor or not. =/