• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Receiving antibiotics during delivery affects infant gut bacteria

This is a difficult one. My first son nearly died on his first day in this world after getting a group B streptococcus infection. This is typically passed from the Mother in birth, so before my second son was born, my wife was given a dose of antibiotics to prevent him from also getting very sick. Fingers crossed these things sort themselves out naturally over time as both were breast fed.

my little penguin

Staff member
I don't think they completely understand all that is involved at all yet

Two kids got abx during delivery
Only one with IBD
Both breastfed as well

Lady Organic

Staff member
Im really glad such longitudinal studies are being conducted. Prevention of disease with antibiotic seems like a good thing but if it means potential trigger to chronic conditions, drs and families need to know in order to make aware or more well-thought decisions. A friend just went through a very difficult experience recently at hospital for delivery, lots of antibiotic prevention for both her and the baby.

The understanding of the microbiota is really the next science. I have once heard a reseacher comparing it to the discovery of the DNA! We will most likely find a lot of answers from studying the microbiota.