• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease and could use some advice

Hello my name is Sue and I have recently been diagnosed with Crohns disease and my doctor has put me on steroids and one of the side effects is weight gain. I was just wondering if anyone knows if I am gonna gain a lot of weight due to the steroids? Any help/advice would be appreciated. :sign0085:

nogutsnoglory

Hi Sue unfortunately steroids do cause temporary side effects when it comes to physical appearance. As long as you are on them you are probably not gonna look like your usual self. I can't say how much weight you will gain but usually appetite increases tremendously which makes it hard to not gain weight. The moon face makes your face look fat and you also may get some acne too.

I put off my treatment quite a few times because I hated the side effects of the Prednisone so much. Weight gain was definitely one of the major problems. I got 15 pounds heavier than I've ever weighed, it sucked. And I've heard of some people, females especially, where they get a lot of water weight and look extremely bloated and hands and feet swell and a "moon face". I asked my new doctor if there was any other options and he recommended Entocort. Maybe do some research on it or ask your doctor. Good luck!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, and welcome,
I too am on Steroids, Prednisolone, just now but unfortunately it does cause weight gain and moon face! However, it has kept me well in the past and that has to outweigh the side-effects. Budesonide also causes weight gain too. They are only used short term and give you respite from the symptoms of C.D. I am currently on Infliximab infusions as this has worked for me and reduced the inflammation. All other meds failed and made me ill.
Once your Consultant finds the right meds that work for you then you will no longer be on Steroids. It may be that steroids will reduce the inflammation and make you feel a lot better!!
Let me know how you are doing. I hope I have helped a little.
:rosette1::welcome: :rosette1:

You shouldn't worry unnecessarily. I was on steroids and had no increase in appetite and actually lost weight. I did get other side effects, but after a while my doctor was able to prescribe things to counteract the worst of them. There's not really a good way to predict which side effects you get or how badly. If you do gain weight on steroids, it will either be water weight (the body retaining extra fluid), which is minimal and will quickly go after the steroids are stopped, or it is due to an increased appetite. If you are able to resist your food cravings, or are able to satisfy them with low calorie foods, you won't gain weight. I know that's easier said than done, but it's definitely possible to take the medications without weight gain.

Thanks for all the advice :) Much appreciated. I am on entocort (on the box it says entocort CR 3mg capsules budesonide) has any one had the shaking side effect as I had a bout of the shakes which lasted 10-15 mins has anyone else had anything similar? Also has anyone experienced a race and itching as well?