• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently diagnosed with Crohns.

Hi everyone,

I am hoping by joining here, that i will be able to find out more.
-I was hospitalised for a week, 3 weeks ago.
After numerous tests and scans, it revealed to be crohns.

I have been on the liquid drinks (Orange flavour) for 3 weeks now, i felt like i was getting better and went back in to work. I am now touch and go whether i will be put back in to hospital, i have taken a downwards spiral again.

My mood swings are all over the place, I am scared, I don't really know what I am facing, I am yet to research in to it all.

At the minute I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I know this will be part of my life, I am struggling to accept this currently.
I am in need of support and information, hopefully down the line I will find myself in a position to help others.

Jason

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Jason and welcome.

Sorry you've joined the club.
What you're feeling is very normal. Give yourself time to adjust (it may take months or a year or so to fully come to terms with it. It does get better.

Are you under the care of a gastroenterologist? On any meds to get you into remission?

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. I am new to Crohn's as well just got diagnosed in the middle of October due to a hospitalization. Since this craziness of Crohn's began I have been in and out of the hospital and ended up having a resection. I agree the emotional toll is quite hard. A lot of ups and downs. I have never experienced anything as up and down since I started this, but know you are not alone and all and all it has gotten better even in two short months. It's just very overwhelming at first. I hope you find peace this forum has really helped because you can talk to people that can truly relate. Good luck to you on your journey and know this is a place with a lot of support!

HI Jason.
Getting diagnosed is difficult. It is definitely a process to acceptance.
Hopefully you will get on the right Meds and get stabilized.
Or, even if you need surgery, sometimes it is a blessing because then you feel better!
I would suggest to take a good look a diet. Different diets work for different people, I wish I had taken diet seriously early on in my journey with this disease. Personally, the Paleo diet works for me.
Good luck to you!

Hi! Every time I would start prednisone, I would have awful mood swings. It will get better!

Hopefully now that you have a diagnosis, with proper treatment you will start feeling better. This will be a great place for support! I always felt it helps to talk with others who know and understand what you are going through.

So, sorry for not posting on here sooner.

The past 2 weeks have been hell. I have been taken in to hospital for a strong painkiller two days after my first post as the pain was unbearable. Then for the week after it was touch and go if I would be back in hospital. I really did not want to go back in.
The only drug I am currently on is prednisolone, they have upped this for the last 10 days to 60mg daily.

My mood has been up and down, the mood swings are insane. I am currently still signed off work. I don't have much energy to do much.

Today has been a mixed day.

I had a colonoscopy this morning, so last was a lot of fun... taking the moviprep and spending hours on the toilet...
Got in to the hospital today and it was a failed attempt.
Somehow, there was hard stool still inside me, they couldn't go any further. I really do not understand how, has anyone else experienced a failed colonoscopy?

Mentally and physically I am struggling, my girlfriend and family have been amazing through all of it. I just can't see an end at the minute.
I do find writing my thoughts out to be useful, so I am making a conscious effort to come on here daily/every two days and do an update.
This will benefit me and others I hope.

I am going to end this post on a high note,
Today was day 37 of no solid food, just the elemental drinks.
For dinner however, I enjoyed a half a plain grilled chicken breast and a little bit of white boiled rice - I never thought this would taste so good!

I will be back on tomorrow. I will reply to people’s comments on here.
Thank you for the support, I am slowly getting my head around having Crohn's. It’s a long battle but I know I am not alone in it.

-JW

I offered the below reply on a thread similar in nature regarding mood swings.. :)

There are of course many contributing factors for mood swings, however perhaps somewhat a little disregarded and yet to be fully realised, is the stomach is very much a second brain. The alimentary canal, a 9 metre wall, we find some 500+ million neurons, more than the spinal chord and central nervous system. Embedded within this wall you find the Enteric Nervous System which operates independently and in conjunction with the brain between the ears . It is estimated that the neurons within the gut are responsible for up to 95% of the dopamine present in the body.

Better understanding your brain chemistry (dopamine & serotonin) would perhaps be of intrigue for you my friend..

Peace & Love Always

Nicholas

I'm not so sure that learning about dopamine and serotonin would be of use to you right now. You being on 60mg of pred is a HUGE cause for mood swings, in itself, not to mention all of the stress that you are under. Sorry to hear the colonoscopy didn't work out, that sucks. You have a lot on your plate that you are dealing with. Just take things day by day, it won't always be as tough as it is now. The pred usually does a good job of settling things down, and then hopefully your Dr can switch you to something else.

I can only apologise again for not posting what I want.
I will get round to posting my story so far, at the minute my motivation to do anything isn't there. My energy level is low, and even on 60mg of steroid the pain is coming back.

I am getting very frustrated, angry and emotional at random things. What little energy I have for now will be used to try and enjoy Christmas with my family tomorrow.
I will hopefully post before the new year an in-depth post about everything.

Hope you all have a good christmas,

-JW