• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently found small fistula and I have Crohn's disease

Hello, my name is Brandon and I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August of 2010 with symptoms starting possible in February of 2010. I had a colonoscopy today and found out that I have a fissure tear, very slightly but the real concern is the small fistula found by my IC. I am currently on humira once every two weeks and now it is being upped to once a week along with 30 mg of prednisone and 500 mg of meldonsomething ( new and don't know the name of) antibiotic. I am just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and I'm severely worried it's going to impact my life again since being in remission since 2012. I'm very positive I know it doesn't seem it from this message but this has really hit me. The doctor talked of trying new medicines and possible resection surgery. I've checked out and talked to some people who have had this clear up on it's own with the medicine. I just need some reassurance. I have a wonderful girlfriend and family to help but I'm looking for someone who can share their experiences with this disease and issue. Anything would help, my first goal is to get the stress level down for I am so excited for the upcoming weeks of starting my 4th grade teaching job, coaching soccer, and most importantly the exciting plans my girlfriend and I have for this fall. I don't want this to stop me from helping and teaching the kids or spending time with my girlfriend. I don't have any pain currently but once I tapered down to 10 mg of pred last week the blood in the stool returned. I just want to fight this til the end and get through this and be able to do the things I love.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello Brandon, welcome to the forum

Im sorry to hear that you are currently having difficulties. I don't have any personal experience with fistulas, but there are many people here who do and they will be able to give you more specific advice about that.

Apart from the fistula and blood, what other symptoms have you got if you don't mind me asking?

I can understand your desire to avoid surgery if that's possible, since it's a big decision and carries risks. However, crohns disease that's causing fistulas is serious and does need to be sufficiently treated. How long have you been on humira for? What other medications have you tried?

Have you had any imaging tests or a colonoscopy recently? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but this will help us to build a picture of how things are for you and we'll be able to give you better advice.

In 2012, I had a small fistula between small bowel and somewhere (not sure). Humira took care of it. I ended up having a resection same year, though, but not due to fistula. I wish you the best in gaining clarity and making choices, and course, your health.