• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recipes

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
OK -- another positive thread. This time . . . RECIPES! Those awesome secret family recipes . . . Now this is NOT Crohn's SPECIFIC recipes so use your judgment before consuming anything below. However, those of us who are aging realize that there are some old family recipes that deserve to join other families besides one's own as perhaps one's own has non-cooks!

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Custard Bread Pudding -- Really good for during a flare-up if you are not lactose intolerant

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 slices of bread -- can be torn into shreds, but I like to pulse them in food processor until they are just crumbs -- makes the pudding smoother
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Spread bread (crumbs) in a buttered baking dish. Mix all other ingredients in bowl and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon or nutmeg. Place dish in shallow pan of water in oven. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove when knife in center comes out clean.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Beer Bread -- can be non-alcoholic beer if so desired.

1 can beer
3 1/3 cups SELF-RISING flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

Mix all ingredients, put into a greased large loaf pan, bake at 375 for 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Pudding -- Pie filling -- also happens to be great during a flare when you don't want solids if you are not lactose intolerant

1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups milk

3 egg yolks beaten slightly

2 tablespoons margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cook the firt grouping, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add a little of the hot mix into the yolks to warm them up and prevent cooking, then add the egg mixture back to the pot. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add the last two ingredients. Cool slightly and pour into pudding cups or pie shell. Can add bananas in the bottom to make banana cream, use an oreo pie shell to make an oreo taste, or even blueberrys or strawberries for a berry N cream kind of taste.

Well, since it's not necessarily Crohn's specific I'll post a couple of my own creations I've got laying around. I can't vouch for their health value for Crohn's patients, but they taste pretty good. I've been trying to compile some of the family recipes for a family cookbook, but my family's not too forthcoming with their recipes, it seems. Oh well, I'll make my own. ;)

Maybe later I'll post Dad's Potato Salad...once I actually do the measurements for it instead of just doing the whole thing to taste. ;)

Chicken A-La Dan

Ingredients

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Cubed
8 oz. Sliced Mushrooms, Fresh
1/2 Small Onion, chopped
5 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Butter
6 Tbsp Flour
1 ½ C. Milk
1 ½ C. Chicken Broth/Stock
1/2 C. White Wine or Sherry
1/2 C. Frozen Peas, Thawed
1/4 Tsp Parsley, Fresh or Dried
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Directions
1) Season chicken with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 2) Brown chicken in a large sauté pan or skillet with 3 tbsp of olive oil; remove from pan & set aside. 3) Add mushrooms and onion to pan on medium-low to low heat, adding a little more oil if necessary, and sweat them for around 2 minutes; remove from pan and set aside. 4) Add enough olive oil into the pan to bring back to approximately 2 tbsp and add the butter; melt over medium heat. 5) Add flour and stir with a fork or whisk until blended, forming a roux. 6) Cook, stirring the roux with a fork or whisk until it gains a slight light tan coloration. 7) Add broth, wine, and milk to the pan, stirring until blended thoroughly. 8) Add chicken and mushrooms back into pan, along with the peas, garlic powder, salt and pepper and simmer on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your preference. 9) Add parsley and simmer for a minute or so more and remove from heat.

Notes: This is equally good ladled over egg noodles or biscuits. Add a small dollop of sour cream and garnish with chopped chives for some added zip.

By the by, I tend to go a little light on the seasonings when I write a recipe up, because you never know each individual's tastes. If you wanna add more or less, go for it. Cooking is all about experimentation and modification of the base model.

Recipe: Krab & Cream Sauce with Fettuccini

Ingredients:
1 pkg Imitation Crab
5 tbsp Butter
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Capers
¼ tsp Ground Rosemary
½ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
Kosher Salt, to taste
1/8 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
5 tbsp Flour
3-4 c Milk
½ c Heavy Cream
¼ c Sherry or White Wine
8oz Frozen Peas & Diced Carrots
8oz pkg Fettuccini

Directions:
1) Very coarsely chop the imitation crab and set aside. 2) Place butter, garlic powder, capers, rosemary, ground pepper, and salt in a deep skillet and heat on medium-high until butter melts and begins to bubble, but not browned. 3) Add flour and stir in with a whisk or fork. 4) Add milk and heavy cream when the roux is blended together and stir until the roux is fully incorporated into the milk (no lumps, besides the capers, of course); stir occasionally to keep from scorching. 5) Turn heat to medium and add the Old Bay seasoning. 6) Heat frozen vegetables in saucepan or microwave until tender; drain and set aside. 7) When sauce begins to thicken, stir in sherry. 8) Cook pasta according to directions on the package. 9) When sauce reaches desired consistency, add vegetables, continue to simmer for five minutes. 10) Add imitation crab last and only cook long enough to heat the imitation crab through. 11) Remove from heat, serve over pasta; garnish with chopped green onion over top.

Notes:
A great meal to have with a good crusty bread or salad. I also grilled tiger shrimp on skewers and served them on the side. I sprinkled garlic powder, lemon pepper, ground rosemary, and kosher salt on the skewered shrimp and then took 2 tbsp of honey and 3 tbsp of bourbon and blended them together. I brushed the bourbon-honey mixture on the shrimp and grilled them, repeating the brush on when I turned them over. Don't over-grill them as shrimp can get tough if they are overcooked. One day I think I'll try this recipe with real crab. I'm sure it'll be superb! If your sauce looks like it's not thickening enough, you can add two more tbsp of flour diluted in enough cold water to make it into a milk-like consistency. Just whisk it in the sauce as it simmers. If it looks too thick, add more milk.

Cheese & Mushroom Stuffed Grilled Chicken Breast
Ingredients:
2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
½ c. Chedder/Mozzarella blend, shredded
¼ c. finely chopped mushrooms (Dried and soaked works well for this)
1 Egg
4 slices Bacon
2 tbsp. Truffle Oil (or olive oil)
¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Parsley, dried
Pepper
Salt

Directions:
1) Butterfly chicken breasts (or have your butcher do it) and pound out flat with a mallet, without tearing the meat. 2) Mix cream cheese, cheese blend, and mushrooms together. 3) Add garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well. 4) Mix in one egg, blending thoroughly. 5) Place enough of the cheese mixture in the middle of each piece of chicken so that it is full, but the chicken still fully envelopes the mixture. 6) Fold over the edges of the chicken around the filling to make two chicken "bundles". 7) Take two slices of bacon for each bundle and wrap them completely around each one in a criss-cross pattern. 8) Use butcher's twine to truss each bundle to hold it all together. 9) Rub 1 tbsp. truffle oil, or olive oil, all over each bundle. 10) Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. 11) Place on a hot grill and cook until done, or until a meat thermometer placed in the meat (not the filling) reads 160 deg. 12) Remove twine and serve.

Notes:
I was walking by the meat counter at Kroger and saw these little chicken breasts with bacon wrapped around them and this recipe just kind of popped into my head. It's a very tasty recipe, but be careful to protect your grill if you don't like messes as sometimes the cheese will leak out the cracks while the meat is cooking. I used dried mushrooms that I soaked in water that I had brought to a boil. The texture isn't quite the same as fresh, but you can get a good fine chop on them.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
The Ultimate Kuchen -- a kuchen is a German pastry type thing . . .

Crust -- any you like from home-made to pre-made to graham cracker

Filling
1 lb. cream cheese softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Topping:
4 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons cinnamon
2-3 apples of any kind, cut into small chunks

Mix filling on high speed of mixer until creamy

Preheat oven to 400

Mix topping items until apples are coated.

Pour filling into crusts.

Spoon topping in, letting it sink into the filling.

Bake 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and top is slightly golden.

Can use peach or apples or no fruit at all and just sprinkle top with cinnamon.