• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recommend me probiotics

I have C.D in my terminal ileium and its mild. So what probiotics should I be looking for? Thanks.

I had inflammation of my T.I. 7 years ago when I was diagnosed and immediately went into surgery. Since then I've tried something like 15 different kinds of probios. I would have to recommend a product called Living Streams probiotic; it's the original formula on a small site: livingstreamsmission.com .

It's about $40 bucks for the small bottle, but you literally only need 2 drops 3x a day. If that works for you, buying the larger bottles can save you tons.

Best 3 probiotics in my opinion:
VSL #3
Healthforce Friendly Force
Garden of Life

If you want to save money and have something just as potent look into water kefir. Gluten, dairy, grain free. You can buy water kefir grains off ebay for cheap just make sure its from a reputable seller.
Heres a video on how to make it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMgmotQiHew

Ive used New Chapter Priobioti immunity for years with great results. once in awhile when I run out and feel too broke to buy more right away the bloating and uneasiness starts to come back and I immidietly go buy them! my health is priceless.

Personally, store-bought yogurts/kefirs/kombucha really aren't strong enough to notice anything in the short run--with the one exception being the Good Belly drinks or the Attune candy bars, both of which are pretty expensive to take daily.

I NEED to take good probiotics daily. Yogurt and kefir don't benefit me noticeably. I've been dependant on probiotics for 7 years. The first year of diagnosis I took the pentasa and imuran till I informed myself. Then I assessed my own unique situation and took it into my own hands which I DON'T RECOMMEND. Point being that my specific diet, exercise, enteric coated fish oil and good probiotics were all I took for 6 years. No meds until this past year when I voluntarily sought out LDN just in case. No, my disease didn't progress intestinally, but sacral ALA joint pain worsened this past year until I tweaked my Vit D3 levels and the LDN kicked in.

Anyhow, it probably depends on matching the right strain of probiotics to the specific part of the digestive tract that's damaged. If I were first starting out trying probiotics, I would go for the multistrain types from an online megaretailer: Primal Defense Ultra, or Jarrow EPS. From there, I would try single strains: S. Boulardii, L. Plantarum, B. Coagulans, L. Paracasei, L. Curvatus, L. Gasseri... My go-to is living streams probiotic, a L Paracasei/L Curvatus liquid probiotic. If I took the aforementioned multistrain brands, I needed 3 a day on an empty stomach. Since switching to this liquid, I take 2 drops 3x a day whenever. Research and find your own dose.

I guess, if I had to settle for stuff in the store, I would go for the Kefir. Yogurt can't hurt and plain is probably best. The main purpose of this response is just to encourage everyone to exhaust these options until you find one that works noticably. Hell, maybe none them work for some people. All I know is I DEFINITELY need probiotics, not just yogurt/kefir. Though I'm trying to brew my own kefir water and kombucha in hopes of supplying my own...

I'd recommend plain ol' yogurt. As noted above, Kefir is a good option also. They are inexpensive, have general nutritional value, and taste good.

Absolutely! FAGE is loaded with calcium and protein on a per-calorie basis, and has both Lactobacillus family and Bifidus strains present in its culture. Still has a decent amount of lactose for those who are ultrasensitive, but significantly less than the equivalent in milk. Products like cultured milk have similar contents.

According to the people behind the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, standard yoghurt isn't that effective because the manufacturing process makes the yoghurt too acidic for most of the cultures to survive. If that's true then while it's beneficial, it's not as beneficial as it could be. Making your own yoghurt's the most efficient way to introduce probiotics, apparently, and it's surprisingly easy to do.

According to the people behind the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, standard yoghurt isn't that effective because the manufacturing process makes the yoghurt too acidic for most of the cultures to survive. If that's true then while it's beneficial, it's not as beneficial as it could be. Making your own yoghurt's the most efficient way to introduce probiotics, apparently, and it's surprisingly easy to do.
True, but there are yogurts commercially available with live active cultures. FAGE, noted above, is one. Activia is a second. Many of the grocery store common brands are heat treated as noted and most of the good strains don't survive. They still have reduced lactose from the fermentation pre-heat treatment, but the live bacteria don't make it to the gut.

Personally, store-bought yogurts/kefirs/kombucha really aren't strong enough to notice ....

I guess, if I had to settle for stuff in the store, I would go for the Kefir. Yogurt can't hurt and plain is probably best. The main purpose of this response is just to encourage everyone to exhaust these options until you find one that works noticably. Hell, maybe none them work for some people. All I know is I DEFINITELY need probiotics, not just yogurt/kefir. Though I'm trying to brew my own kefir water and kombucha in hopes of supplying my own...
I basically agree, and that's why I started making my own. Lifeway kefir claims to contain approx. 10+ beneficial cultures, while homemade kefir grains will produce over 35 different cultures and is claimed to be 100+ times more potent. Not positive how true any of those claims are, but once you get some kefir grains, all you need is milk (or water and sugar for water kefir) and you can make your own--forever. Same with kombucha "mushrooms".

Kefir grains double in size approx. every 20 days, and many people either give away, or sell (for a nominal fee, like $5-10) their excess on Craigslist, which is where I obtained mine--from a local woman who nurtures hers on raw goats milk, from her own goats. And I live in Chicagoland.

I don't know for certain but feel it's better to buy live grains locally than from sites such as eBay, which may arrive freeze dried, and aren't always viable.

The culturing process removes most of the lactose in milk, so it doesn't cause any issues for most who are lactose intolerant.