• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal Bleeding post proctocolectomy

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. My father( 63 ) suffered from UC and underwent proctocolectomy (with permanent ileostomy) on the 4th of January 2016. The surgeon informed us that he has left a small portion of the rectum intact so that the ooze and discharge from the internal wounds would find a way out. This was in addition to an opening in the abdomen for the same purpose. This was required, he told us, because my father's rectum and sigmoid colon were severely inflamed and swollen; and hence the void inside would take some time to fill up.
A week after the surgery, my father started getting discharge from the rectum, in large amounts at first and then gradually reduced. It looked like blood but the surgeon insisted it was the ooze from the wound inside. Its almost 2 months since the surgery now but he still has bleeding/discharge from the anal passage. There was pain in the anal passage but it has now reduced. He has to use diapers so he doesnt soil his clothes.
The surgeon has advised us to apply castor oil in the anal passage and my father has been doing so for some time. On the last visit to the surgeon, he said that the wound has closed now and the discharge is from the disease in the remaining rectum. He asked us to mix powdered omnacortil (prednisone) tablets in the castor oil and apply in the anal passage once or twice a week. We followed the advice the day before yesterday and the bleeding increased yesterday with large clots of blood also in the discharge. I called up the surgeon and told him about it. He said that the prednisone might have opened up the wound inside and the discharge/clots/blood are nothing but the ooze built up inside over time. And its good if all of it comes out, so we should repeat the application for 3 or 4 more consecutive days and then apply once in 5 days later.
We were very scared to see the increased bleeding and large clots and are really skeptical about using prednisone application again. I would be grateful if you guys could share similar experiences, if any or help with any advice.
Primarily, I have the following questions:
1. Is prednisone safe for such use (application on wounds)?
2. How bad is it if the discharge from the internal wound doesn't come out of the body?

Apart from this, my father doesn't have any other major problem right now. He is pretty weak, yes, but is improving gradually. He has started consuming a normal diet and is dealing with the ostomy well.

Thank you everyone for reading and for your advises in advance.