• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal Incontinence

I see a lot of people have diarrhea with the Crohns. I have something even more embarrassing. If I eat fruit, protein bars, cereal with fiber, ect. I get diarrhea but even worst I have spasms in my rectal area that I am not even aware of. I may feel no sensation that I leaking out diarrhea in my underwear. I am so embarrassed. I wear a max pad just in case this happens. This does not happen all the time just when I eat certain foods are I going running. I will not tell anyone about this. Too embarrassed to go to a doctor. I read somewhere that women that give birth can have some what diminished muscle control down there. Can anyone relate? Or am I just having this crazy problem???

It took me 10 months of hiding my diarrhoea and bottom mishaps, making jokes and excuses until I couldn't cope anymore, and my doctor & family were very supportive and I wished I'd let everyone know I was suffering sooner than I did. I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and have a nice IBD Nurse to help me. Please I urge you to go and get checked out, I promise the tests sound worse than they actually are and you need not have to suffer like you are at the moment.

You're not the only one. I used to (I have a stoma now). There are many different causes, including (as you mentioned) damage to nerves or muscles as a result of trauma like childbirth or diseases. Crohn's does not affect the nerves in the way that some illnesses do. It is more likely to cause incontinence due to severe, urgent diarrhoea that does not give you enough warning to get to the bathroom. As you are not always feeling an urge at all before it happens, it may be that the Crohn's has caused some damage to the rectal area, maybe a tear when stool can seep out, or an abscess or something similar that could leak (it may be mucus leaks too), or, when Crohn's causes frequent diarrhoea over a long time period, the stress of this on the rectal area could cause a common problem like a prolapse or haemorrhoids that can result in leaking stool or mucus.

I'm not sure how the affects of fibre would affect any of these conditions, but fibre obviously has effects on frequency and consistency of diarrhoea.

A digital rectal examination is a simple test a doctor can do to assess you for the colorectal abnormalities that I mentioned above. A sigmoidoscopy (like a colonoscopy but less major as only the end of the bowel is accessed) can give a more thorough examination. These conditions are generally treatable. If there are no abnormalities, then it's a matter of getting the flare under control and stopping diarrhoea.

You will need to see a doctor though. I know it's embarrassing but it's the only way to know what's going on and get treatment. You've not done anything wrong. It's a genuine problem you are right to be concerned about and no doctor should blame you for that.

I keep this under cover that my husband doesn't even know. Thanks for all the info. It is crazy trying to figure out how to have a happy medium between constipation and diarrhea. Can we have a normal system or is it always a ongoing struggle? I see others mention the bloating. I workout but my stomach looks a big gas balloon. It is crazy!!!!! Is taking meds the solution?

David

Co-Founder
I understand you're embarrassed but PLEASE talk to your doctor about this. I assure you they will not be judgmental and will think nothing of it the second they walk from the room. My wife works in the ER and does rectals a couple times a night and never thinks anything of it.

Please talk to your doctor.