• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal stump

Hi everyone,

I recently had a panproctocolectomy, leaving the rectal stump. I already had an ileostomy so not much of a lifestyle change really, though my general well-being went through the roof as I had sever disease at the end of the bowel. It’s been a year now with hardly a grumble.
I’d like people’s experience of how their rectal stump behaves, what it feels like when you have a flare in there. So far my problem has been draining it of mucus to avoid infection but that always goes without much effort.
more recently it does feel like it’s a bit swollen and I can feel some sensations a bit like butterflies which I also had before the surgery (odd one, but I’ve had worse symptoms!)
It’s all manageable and not severe. But I’d like to know what a flare feels like for you guys in this situation. Cheers

When I had my rectal stump it never bothered me much.

You can wait only so much to have it reconnected to whatever is left of your gut, if you wait a long time its not good.

When they reconnected it, its not such a simple surgery, they cut my left ureter in the process and they did not notice but I would do it again all the time to get rid of that bag.

By the way when they did the surgery 3 months later I still had some inflammation in the stump but I never felt it so the Dr. did the anastomosis but then he did not put it to work, .......I got a new ileostomy so the anastomosis could heal......bad mistake.....got Crohns now in my terminal ileum instead of in the colon and a stricture that caused me terrible obstructions at the anastomosis site after a couple of months after they took away the ileostomy.

But thanks God they were able to do a balloon dilation.....so now I am better than ever.!!!

It takes some time but your gut recovers and you forget little by little the bad times.