• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

RectoSigmoid Collitis? or not?

Hi Everyone,

I recently attended the hospital for my Colonoscopy. We werent sure what it could end up with, as to be honest none of the major symtons had been expereienced except passage of small amount of fresh blood with stool passing. No pain, no loss of weight, nothing etc.

Anyway, we went, the procedure was a little more uncomfortbale than i expected but not painful and went super quick, felt like 3 mins.

So the results say the following:

Mucosa, Extensive Mild Atrophy, Congestion and Erythema in the Recto-Sigmoid area.

Diagnosis - Ulcerative colitis (Mildy active, recto- Sigmoid)

Advice/comment - Mild Active Colitis to 20cm, Advised to get following presciption and see doctor in 3 weeks. Mezavent XL 2.4G twice daily and Predsol Suppositiories 1 Nocte.

Now, would you read this as RectoSigmoid Colitis? Is there a difference? I only ask as as soon as the procedure was over and we had eaten, we were let to leave with no other word except what the doc said to me straight after procedure which being under sedation at the time has fallen a little out of memory..:ack:

Could anyone give me some advice on this area of Colitis? i never experience pain, the blood is very small amount, could the symton dissaeapr with drugs for years and years, or is this a monthly flare up thing? I would ask the doctor (which i still will do) but we have to wait 3 weeks to speak to him after results/med has had time to get to affect and i am just looking for some peace of mind.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, thanks for your time.

Regards

Isaac

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

You've been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
The location of the colitis is in the rectosigmoid colon (last part of the large intestine)

Hope the meds have you feeling better soon.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Isaac and welcome to the forum. Your diagnosis is Ulcerative colitis. Your ulcerative colitis is located in rectum and sigmoid (part of the colon fallowing rectum. At this point you seem to have a mild disease activity.

I usually have episode in recto-sigmoid as well. Sometimes it goes further up in my left (descending) colon. here is an image of the different parts of the colon:
http://www.medicinenet.com/image-collection/colon_picture/picture.htm

having such a close fallow up in 3 weeks with a GI is a great thing! Write down your questions for the doctor in the meantime.
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic disease. We experiment flares and remissions during our life. It is important to fallow the treatment prescribed by your doctor and this may mean taking medication for a long time or even for a lifetime. I have been on medication since my diagnosis in 2001. Everyone is different, not one case is the same. wishing you well.

As others have said, they have specified that it is ulcerative colitis in the recto-sigmoid colon. This is specifically differentiated from Crohn's colitis. I have Crohn's colitis, also mainly in the recto-sigmoid colon, and my symptoms are similar to yours, but at a cellular level there is a difference and the potential disease progression is also different from that of UC.
I think that generally the drug treatment is the same, but if it came to a more serious level your UC could be cured surgically whereas Crohn's colitis cannot.

Thank you for all your feedback. This is very much Appreciated.

I do have another question i thought maybe you would know about.

I have been taking the meds now for about three weeks, and most recently when i pass stool (regular as clockwork, every morning) it has recently turned a bit more soft and liquidy. Do you think this could be more to do with the medication? Like i say, its just when i usually, but instead of it being normal, its a soft and liquid. (Sorry for the topic, hope you werent eating breakfast :ywow:)

Kind Regards

Lady Organic

Staff member
could be the medication, could be new different symptoms if your colitis is not fully under control with your current medication. You shall see your GI very soon right? reports these to your doctor.

Hello Isaac Blue
It sounds like you are being well looked after. Just so you know, the mesalazine preparations usually take a few weeks to start working, although the suppositories work alot faster because they are taken directly to the site of action
I was wondering if the suppositories are changing the consistency of your stools. I also use them and although they help against the pain and bleeding (in my case) I have to admit I do not like going to the toilet in the mornings.

I have noticed that eating fibrous foods such as some fruit and vegetables or high fibre cereals increases the pain and bleeding that I have. Ask your doctor about a suitable diet (low fibre diet?) that can help.

You are lucky your disease state is mild and I really hope it stays that way for you! Even if you are symptom free make sure you go for regular check-ups. And with the mesalazine, make sure you also get blood work done regularly to check for kidney and liver function and to rule out rare blood disorders.

I was on Mezavant for about 4 years and it did change the consistency of the stools - not runny, but no solid edges if you get what I mean, a bit mushy. When I stopped the Mezavant my stools went back to my pre-disease normal state - until I eventually flared again a few months later - BOOO!