• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectovaginal Fistula?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to come on here since this seems to be the only place where I see several people talking about this issue. I suspect I have a rectovaginal fistula but not sure so I wanted to ask those with it what are your symptoms?

Although I don't have Crohn's, I suffer from mild IBS triggered by certain foods and have had a traumatic child birth 3 years ago which resulted in 4th degree tearing. I have recovered my ability to control my bowels but do suffer from incontinence if I have diarrhea. Recently I have noticed some stool or yellow discharge when I wipe at the front. But it's only sometimes when it's bad diarrhea and I don't have foul discharge.

My question is how frequently would stool pass through the vagina if it is truly a fistula? Would it always be coupled with infections/foul discharge?

I'm currently pregnant with my second and I'm just concerned. I have a feeling my OB will not take this seriously but I do have an appointment this week.

Thanks for reading

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
When I had mine - it was PAINFUL having stool pass through the fistula - burning/tearing type of pain that happened with pretty much every bm, especially if I had D. A doctor, either your Gyn or a GI should be able to check if there is actually a fistula or something else going on.