• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectum removal surgery on Dec. 30th, feeling anxious.

This is my first post here, and I'm looking for some reassurance. I'm 26 on the 29th, so happy birthday to me, I have surgery scheduled for the 30th. I had a colectomy about 7 years ago, with plans to reverse into a j-pouch at some point. I've lived very healthy for the past 7 years, and decided it would be a drastic decrease in quality of life to get the j-pouch, thus my doctor suggested removal of the rectum to make it permanent and help with some chronic wounds I have around my rectum.
I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, after being sick for most of my teenage years, and even though I would say I'm the healthiest I've ever been, I can't help but thing the worst about this relatively easy surgery. There's no major removal of bowels, and I haven't used my rectum in almost 7 years, but it's triggering my greatest fear of passing on an operating table...

Tldr:
Having surgery in 4 days and freaking out.

Has anyone had the rectal removal surgery and have any tips or reassurance? Could really use some good news.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Currently recovering in my hospital room. Everything went according to plan, and the nursing and doctor staff have been great through it all.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the reassurances.

Should be smooth sailing from here!

Last edited:
This is my first post here, and I'm looking for some reassurance. I'm 26 on the 29th, so happy birthday to me, I have surgery scheduled for the 30th. I had a colectomy about 7 years ago, with plans to reverse into a j-pouch at some point. I've lived very healthy for the past 7 years, and decided it would be a drastic decrease in quality of life to get the j-pouch, thus my doctor suggested removal of the rectum to make it permanent and help with some chronic wounds I have around my rectum.
I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, after being sick for most of my teenage years, and even though I would say I'm the healthiest I've ever been, I can't help but thing the worst about this relatively easy surgery. There's no major removal of bowels, and I haven't used my rectum in almost 7 years, but it's triggering my greatest fear of passing on an operating table...

Tldr:
Having surgery in 4 days and freaking out.

Has anyone had the rectal removal surgery and have any tips or reassurance? Could really use some good news.

Thanks.
Hello, My birthday is there 25th of December so we're both Capricorns. You're much stronger than you think due to your birth sign. If you are unsure about your surgery, ask to speak to the surgeon beforehand again and talk it through. Ask questions and make sure you feel in control. I don't think you will die on the operating table at all. You 'll go to sleep and be in the recovery room before you know it. It's your anxiety getting the better of you. Take care.

Happy birthday 🥳
I haven’t had the specific surgery you are planning but have had previous emergency op.
Might be nice to plan something nice for afterwards to look forward to?
Distraction can help with anxiety so maybe pack a book, phone with games on and charger.
You are young and healthy and the surgeon will be experienced in dealing with people far older/ sicker/ riskier. It will be fine.
If you get anxious try not to dwell on the negative thought - your body can’t tell the difference between real and imagined stress. It’s easier to focus on something positive than ignore something negative so think about it going well and the benefits of getting it done. If you get in a real stress then focus on your breathing - in as if smelling a delicious hot chocolate (or mulled wine), out as if blowing out a candle. The key thing is slow.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Happy birthday 🥳
I haven’t had the specific surgery you are planning but have had previous emergency op.
Might be nice to plan something nice for afterwards to look forward to?
Distraction can help with anxiety so maybe pack a book, phone with games on and charger.
You are young and healthy and the surgeon will be experienced in dealing with people far older/ sicker/ riskier. It will be fine.
If you get anxious try not to dwell on the negative thought - your body can’t tell the difference between real and imagined stress. It’s easier to focus on something positive than ignore something negative so think about it going well and the benefits of getting it done. If you get in a real stress then focus on your breathing - in as if smelling a delicious hot chocolate (or mulled wine), out as if blowing out a candle. The key thing is slow.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hello, what nice sensible advice.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Good luck with your surgery! You're going to do great and everything is going to go well. When you get a chance after lots of rest be sure to let us know how it went.

You're not alone in worrying about what might happen when going under. I've had a bowel resection and have been put under numerous times for other surgeries and procedures. Each time I'm nervous but once I start talking to the anesthesiologist I feel a lot more relaxed. Tell them how you're feeling and they'll help you through it. They're really good at what they do. You'll be in good hands. 🤗