• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Red Stool after Mag Citrate?

I'm currently prepping for my pill cam that I have tomorrow. I've used magnesium citrate before for a bout of constipation and for my colonoscopy, so the diarrhea hasn't taken me by surprise, but I was surprised to see red-orange liquidy stool in the bowl when things first got going.

I haven't had anything red that I can think of! Just chocolate ensure and toast this morning, and then apple juice and lemon gatorade after noon. Nothing red yesterday either!

I've never before had bloody stools or red stools for that matter (except for when I've indulged in red velvet cupcakes :p) and they were pretty normal and brown before the mag citrate at 1 pm. Is there any chance the clear lemon lime magnesium citrate could cause this? o_O

Hm. It's mostly back to normal (as normal as laxative induced D can be) but now I definitely have blood when I wipe. Great.

I see GI bleeding as a side effect of magnesium citrate. It's of the "contact your doctor" sort, but I'm seeing him in the morning for the pill cam anyway, it's after hours, and I'm not in any particular pain other than from the D and a little cramping when each wave hits. Hopefully that's not a stupid decision. I just figure the diarrhea hurt something near the anus itself? I dunno. I'm a stranger to this GI bleeding thang.