• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Refreshing drinks

Hi al I'm new today I've just joined.. And although I haven't had a diagnosis yet I know I have a chronic bowel problem and woul like so much for your help in the foods and drinks I can prepare although I'm not at the stage where I know or don't know what I ca or cannot drink ( I don't mean alcohol) just refreshing fruit juices and fruits I can eat safely I'll start with that first and go on to the foods thank you Jackie or jaxsi x

Welcome to the group. Personally, I stay away from juice drinks. It might be acid. The only fruit I feel safe with is bananas. This will pertain to all foods but you might want to keep a food diary. I hope you get s diagnosis soon and they can get you the tight mixture of medicine to get you under conttol.

mushy food worked for me when I was sick. salads were the worst thing to digest, that and stay away from greasy foods,
so boil your veg, it breaks them down for you to digest easier. yes a baby food diet, devon custard, nutrition shakes, beat the food down so it is easier to digests.
play with these suggestions see what works for you.
drinks, flat ginger ale, green tea or any tea with honey. no coffee, get off the milk, try soya/almond milk
good luck
Rick

Since there are so many conditions involving the GI tract it would be hard to give some one who hasn't started the diagnostic process any direction as far as dietary lists.

Keeping a food diary may give you and idea of what foods are affecting you personally. Even more involved would be an elimination diet which Google could give you direction in.

As far as fruit juices even with CD that is very individual, not to mention that if your issues had to do with something like fructose malabsorption it would all be moot.

I agree with Clash and everyone is different. I know exactly what will cause me pain and make me ill but it doesn't always stop me from indulging at times.
I stay away from most fruit. I will eat bananas, lots of avocado and sometimes pineapple. Everything else is bad for me. I stay away from all raw veggies. Potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnips, sweet potatoe and squash is what I stick to cause I can bake these very well and they don't bother me then. I try and make shakes with bananas, yogurt, almond mild and coconut oil especially on days when I feel I can't eat much. I stay away from fruit juices and carbonated drinks. I should try and stay away from sweets too but I enjoy them too much. I do notice a difference when I have them however. Seeds and peanuts are no no as well.
Best is to keep a list or diary of what you eat and eliminate was it bad for YOU.

Jaxsi,

Here's a list that I've compiled from various UK hospitals. It's a good starting point for what you can/can't eat and drink. But, as everyone's saying, it's different for us all. Keeping a diary can really help; try new things one at a time for 3 or 4 days on the run; small meals and snacks throughout the day. Best luck.

Bread & cereals:
White bread
Muffins, plain scones and bagels, pancakes, crumpets, white pitta bread, plain naan bread, plain chapatti, poppadoms, tortilla, tacos
Refined breakfast cereal, such as Special K, Cornflakes, Rice Krispies, Frosties, Sugar Puffs, Cocoa Pops, Ricicles
White rice, pasta, noodles, couscous, palenta. Rice & pasta should be eaten hot
Corn flour, white flour
Sponge, Maderia
Semolina, tapioca, sago
Rich Tea, wafer biscuits, bourbon, custard cream, ginger nuts, shortbread
Cornish wafers, Ritz crackers, cream crackers

Meat & alternatives:
All meats and fish - chicken, salmon, & oily fish best
Eggs
Tofu

Vegetables:
Flesh only (no peel, seeds or stalks)
Asparagus, aubergine, beetroot, broccoli florets, carrot, celeriac, courgette, leek, lettuce, marrow, onion, parsnip, pepper, potato/sweet potato (no skin, eaten hot), radish, swede, tomato (de skinned/deseeded), turnip
All vegetables must be well cooked. Remove skins and seeds where possible.
Sieved tomato sauces, including passata and tomato puree
Strained vegetable juices

Fruit:
Where possible, avoid skins and seeds. Keep to a maximum of two portions a day. Try to spread fruit throughout the day.
Tinned or ripe fresh fruit without skin or seeds as advised by dietitian
Fruit without pips, seeds and skins, very ripe banana, canned fruit (not cocktail), stewed fruit, avocado.
Apples, apricot, cherries, grapes, kiwi, lychees, mango, melon, nectarine, peaches,pineapple, plum, strawberries
Fruit juices
Smooth coconut milk

Desserts:
Custard, ice cream, milk puddings
Clear jelly
Plain cakes
Mousse, sponge pudding, custard, crumble topping made with white flour, meringues

Dairy:
Milk (all types), cream, sour cream, crème fraiche, fromage frais, smooth/set yoghurt, cheese (any)

Drinks:
Fruit and vegetable juices, milk, water, soft drinks, wheat tea and coffee, herbal tea

Miscellaneous:
Clear, sieved or cream soup, smooth jam, marmalade, honey, syrup, lemon curd, chocolate, mayonnaise, salad cream, vinegar, Oxo, Marmite, Bovril, Horlicks
Smooth sauces, for example cheese sauce, tomato ketchup
Sugar, golden syrup, custard powder, toffee, caramel, marshmallows, boiled sweets
Pepper, salt, herbs and spices in moderation (dried or finely chopped)
Gravy, soy sauce, plain crisps, plain pretzels (without sesame seeds)
Smooth peanut butter