• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Relatively New to Crohn's

I was diagnosed with Crohn's a little over a year ago after a routine colonoscopy. I've alway had 'tummy troubles' and thought it was simply a case of being lactose intolerant but was I ever wrong. Since then I have been taking Asacol daily and watching my diet. I spend a lot of time with a naturopath who did some dietary testing which showed that I had multiple sensetivities to things like dairy, gluten and cane sugar. There were others but I won't bore you with those. I try and stay away from those triggers by using gluten free, dairy free, sugar free products whether store bought or home made. Cane sugar alternatives like honey and coconut sweetner have been a god send. Since finding out about Crohn's, I've also learned that my RA may be related or rather a result of Crohn's and not the car accident I had as a teen. To add further insult to injury I have degenerative arthritis in my right hand which will mean I need surgery at some point to relieve the pain and to restore motion. I'm not happy about the way my life has changed since I've hit my 40's but I guess in fairness it could always be worse so I am thankful for the life I do enjoy. I guess I decided to join this forum because I want to connect with others who are experiencing the same 'issues' as I am. Support is a great thing and I am willing to offer it in return. I'd love to hear from you....any thoughts on Crohn's and arthritis? Anything else I should know about or come to expect?

Looking forward to new friendships!
Lana

Welcome to the forum, Lana. It seems you have been through quite alot. Does the asacol and diet work to keep your CD in remission?

You may want to browse through the Diet Forum(<----click here) there are a variety of diets and supplements members have posted information and experiences about.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I was also wondering if your crohn's is settled on your current med and diet? Are you on anything for the arthritis? There are a fair few here who have troubles with joint pains, I myself find that when the tum is unsettled I get pain in my fingers and knees. One thing you can do is keep an eye on is vitamin levels as deficiences in this are common with crohn's and a low vitamin D can exacerbate joint problems.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Hello to both of you and thanks for the warm welcome!

In answer to your questions, the diet and the Asacol seem to be keeping my symptoms under control. I do find that when I cheat and by that I mean regular pizza or an ice cream I suffer BIG time. At that point the meds don't help. Seeing the naturopath has been the best treatment for me because she took all the deficiency issues that Crohn's initiates into consideration so I take a plethora of supplements to aid in the absorption of nutrients I was obviously lacking. I take a D3, glucosamine, mega doses buffered C, B complex etc (too many more to name) but the biggest help seems to be the shake I have as my breakfast replacement every day. Unsweetened almond milk, water, coconut water, frozen berries, banana, flax seed oil, matcha (green tea powder) and MediClear supplement powder by Thorne. Since I started with this last year I have noticed an improvement in energy, hair growth (I was thinning due to the disease and the meds) and in my iron and D levels. As for the arthritis, the pain is always there whether my lower back or my joints (knees, hands and feet). The hand surgeon feels surgery is in my future for my wrist because at this point the cartilage is missing between the last 2 bones in my thumb (I think that's right) but I will be seeing a rheumatologist in February to get her take on what my options are. I've been told by everyone, doctors, friends, family and books alike to stay away from anti-inflammatories so I'm not sure what other options she will have other than tylenol (lol)?? I would love to hear how you're coping and what tricks you may have to feeling better....I know not everything works for everyone but I'll try anything once.

I guess before this last month I was taking care but with that mindset that comes when you're frustrated and so you think.....why me and why should I bother....and so you go about doing all the things you shouldn't be doing. It was just after my girlfriend of many years had her entire colon removed (she now has the bag) and is waiting to hear if it was ulcerative colitis or Crohn's to determine whether or not they can do a reversal. Since then I've kept the cheating to a minimum and started exercising again. Not that I was really bad before but I had a bit of attitude....hopefully I have that in check now.

I look forward to hearing from you and your suggestions.

I'm off to work now....afternoon shift which I'm sure doesn't help but at least it's not a midnight cycle so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Take care and have a great day!

Lana

Angrybird

I have tried diets before but tend to flare even if I am only on shakes and not actually eating food so I do require meds to keep things settled. I am currently on 6-mp and this has done a great job for me, I do still watch what I eat though so stick to low fat, low fibre foods and things with little pips and seeds. Anything else that causes a bit of a tummyache I know to avoid as well. How often do you see you GI doc for check ups?