• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and bronchitis

Tesscorm

Staff member
S was just dxed with bronchitis and given abx and a puffer. His next remi is a week today.

Do you think this would interfere with his next infusion? :ywow:

my little penguin

Staff member
Need to talk to his Gi
Each one has different protocols on when to hold an infusion
But a week of abx

He might be ok
Still talk to his Gi now

Last month, we postponed my son's Humira shot a couple days to finish abx for bronchitis. So, yes, unless he's on the 5-day zpack instead of usual 10 day course. But ask your GI what they want to do

Tesscorm

Staff member
I will call his GI on Monday - kinda knew that was the right thing to do :ybatty: but, guess I was hoping I'd hear 'oh, no worries, it's no problem at all...' :lol: It's so annoying booking his remi apptmts! Because Saturday apptmts are so limited, I try to book them way ahead of time. And, now, they're moving his remi centre, so even more confusion as they are trying to reschedule everyone during the construction of the new centre. I just spent two weeks trying to reach his coordinator, 5 messages, so I could get his summer dates confirmed for his shoulder surgery!... finally get thru and confirm dates thru December :D and, an hour later... he calls to tell me he has bronchitis! :yfaint: Murphy's law, right?

He is on the 5 day abx, so he'll be finishing them on Tuesday... Hopefully, Friday will still be okay.

It's so annoying booking his remi apptmts! Because Saturday apptmts are so limited, I try to book them way ahead of time. And, now, they're moving his remi centre, so even more confusion as they are trying to reschedule everyone during the construction of the new centre. I just spent two weeks trying to reach his coordinator, 5 messages, so I could get his summer dates confirmed for his shoulder surgery!... finally get thru and confirm dates thru December :D and, an hour later... he calls to tell me he has bronchitis! :yfaint: Murphy's law, right?
I feel your pain! I really hope that your son doesn't have to change his Remi day. I had our infusion schedule all set through the spring and summer, with weekends during the school year, and everything fitting around summer plans. Then the infusion center called last week to say that kids could no longer have infusions on the weekend, since there aren't any pediatricians in the building on weekends. We are all so bummed out about this change! Oh well. It was great while it lasted...

From what I know, acute bronchitis is usually viral. This articles says 90% viral. I'm wondering if the doctors are giving antibiotics to be extra "safe" or if there were some signs of a bacterial infection. Any fever?

I do hope he is feeling better in no time! Talking to the GI on Monday makes perfect sense.

Ugh that sucks. Hopefully he will be good to go for Remi.
(Also I feel your pain in getting a hold of your coordinator, I had to get ahold of mine recently and it took 3 weeks and 4 emails before I got a response. Ugh)

I book my appointments 2 months out since I'm every 4 week, can't imagine booking 10 months out!

Tesscorm

Staff member
He hasn't had a fever. He did have a cold 2-3 weeks ago and was just left with a congested chest and very plegmy cough. As he went to the walk-in near his school, I did wonder if the doctor just prescribed the abx because it was a 'safe/easy' first step (and the puffer). He says his chest and cough already feel much better so... it does seem to be helping.

Now, he's realized he has an exam Friday... :( I have his class schedule so had booked knowing he didn't have a class but I don't have his exam schedule. Ugh, so, bronchitis or not, seems I have to change it anyway. Oh well, given his bronchitis, I'll feel better moving it out 3 or 4 days anyway (but, will still check timing with GI)... now to just reach the coordinator! :yfaint:

Malorymug - yes, I book his schedule out a few months at a time, usually about 6 months out (got lucky this time in booking until December!). I don't know how common it is to request apptmts ahead of time?? My friend takes her daughter to the same centre and just gets her next apptmt date from the nurse when she leaves from having the infusion. But, there are so very limited Saturday spots, I've always just called the office directly to book. No one's ever told me I shouldn't be calling?? It's also convenient because this is a 'chain' of medical centres and, when there is a problem with a weekend date (ie like now), they also have a clinic near his school, so I just schedule it there during the week. We have our infusions through AIM Health. They are a U.S. company but have clinics here as well... don't know if you can access infusions through them as well, if it could offer you more convenience??

Tesscorm

Staff member
FWIW, GI office said it was okay for S to go ahead with remicade. Asked if he had fever, any other symptoms, when abx would be completed, then said it was fine. Whew! :) Changed it a few days later anyway due to exam - even with GI's okay, I'm glad of a few days delay. :)