• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Creatine

My teenage son is on Remicade..just started, and wants to start taking Creatine. Is there problems with this?

thank you.

David

Co-Founder
Stay away from creatine. It's harsh on the digestive track in healthy individuals; god knows what it might do to a Crohnie. He's going to want to also take "protein shakes" which invariably contain absolutely terrible ingredients. PLEASE don't let him take those either. There's some organic ones out there which are much healthier if he's adamant. Stay away from any protein shakes you get from Wal Mart, GNC, etc.

twob- my nephew came very close to needing a liver transplant from taking creatine. Definitely stick to the organic protein. The chemicals in the mainstream powders are unbelievable.

Wendy

rygon

How old is your son as well? Ive always been told that you shouldnt be doing any heavy weights whilst you are still growing as you will divert your energy into growing healthy strong bones into muscle (so he could be shorter than he should be and may have complictaions later in life).

Theres a few threads about whey powder, I get a worse stomach from exercising anyway, so not sure if whey protein is making it any worse or not, but defo found the more expensive ones (PhD, Omni, Maximuscle) to give much better results than cheap shop bought ones (even from health shops)

KWalker

From what I've heard, Creatine has gotten rid of the ingredient that causes liver problems. I feel like an idiot for not being able to remember the name. But I've heard the new creatine is much better than the original stuff and its supposed to be much safer now. That's just what I heard though, I would definately talk to someone who knows for sure.

I took a protein powder called "Mutant Mass" and didn't notice anything bad from it, although I wasn't on any medication at the time. Can't say I really noticed any gains from it either though. I gained a few pounds but to me I think its better just to spend that money on healthy food.

Not so true Rygon. Weights training is good for teens now although not over the top heavy but then again that's not healthy for anybody.

I'd advise against Creatine anytime, never understood why the need is felt for it but stay away from that.