• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Illness

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I KNOW this has been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it.

How sick do you need to be to NOT have your Remicade infusion??
Is the common cold okay? Is it only if you have an infection that you need to cancel it??

I have had a sore throat starting on Thursday (today is Monday) and it turned into a post-nasal drip thing, and a dry cough.
I'm sure it's something that will just go away, not an infection, nothing I would go to a doc for.

How do I know if I can get my infusion? I don't want to delay it, cuz it's already a week late.

What would happen if I really WAS sick and shouldn't be getting it?

Thanks
MBH

I dont know. My husband and my daughter both had a cold when I went to get mine, and I went anyway even though I had been exposed. (I still have yet to catch it) I dont think the common cold is a big deal, but if it was bronchitis or something then maybe they wouldnt. Maybe call the clinic and ask. In theory you could get an infusion and come down with a cold the next day right. The risk must be pretty low.

I had to have mine delayed because I was put on antibiotics - not sure which one, because the doctor thought I had bronchitis, so he put me on an antibiotic, then I was taken to the hospital 2 days later and found out I had a viral upper respiratory chest infection. The emerg doc said I can take the antibiotic if I want, but it won't do me any good. I only took that one for 2 days (a week before my remicade injection), but it had to be delayed.

This time, I have an injection on Thursday (3 days from now), I am on cipro & flagyl - and have been for 1+1/2 weeks, and yet my doctor said to go ahead and get it done.

I think if you are confident it won't digress to pneumonia, you should be okay. Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor! LOL

I would suggest talking to the remicade nurse or you dr if you are concerned about anything. I travel over an hour to the hospital that does my infusions so it's kind of 50/50 if I should ring and find out if it's o.k to have infusion if I'm unwell or risk it and hope they don't send me home!
Last year rang the hospital a few days before my remicade as I was on antibiotics for a chest infection, and put it off until the following week.
I have also had remicade while getting over the tail end of a "cold", with no problems. (I didn't let on to the nurses though......probably not the brightest thing to do!)
I don't really know how they decide if they should give you the remicade or not, I always thought that it was if you had an infection that they wouldn't give it to you??
I take an antihistamin for allergies (similar symptoms as you,) it helps a lot. If I don't take them my cough gets worse and it can easily go to my chest. I'm not saying it's the same with you, It just can start off simple and easily get more complicated.
I hope you are feeling better soon!

M

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've gotten my infusion while getting over a cold - so far thankfully when I have gotten 'sick' it has been between infusions - had Strep 2 weeks ago!

I was supposed to have my next infusion on Monday. I picked up a cold and a cough though, so they cancelled it. I tried to fight it, but they like to be over cautious.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I went anyways, it didn't seem like an infection - the cough is still there, but the sore throat is gone. Hopefully it's on its way out next.
Thanks guys!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Remember it is allergy season too!.....that's what I say when I get the post-nasal drip, runny nose etc - you learn your own body and know when you are really sick vs not! lol...

What part of NY are you from? I'm near Albany!