• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and pregnancy

My husband and I are wanting to TTC when he comes back from Afghanistan next year. And I think it's time to start figuring out our options. I'm currently taking Remicade every 4 weeks. I'm not sure of the dosage.... guess I should know that. I think it's 5 something. Anyway..... my GI says Remicade is a Catergory B medication, so they don't really know anything basically. He told me it should be okay for me to be on it while I'm pregnant, but then told me not to breast feed if I'm going to take it.

So.... I'd love to hear from some of you.... Has anyone been on remicade, got pregnant, had a baby, and breast fed? What have your doctors said about it? How are your children now? And how old are they?

I'm really excited about starting a family with my husband, but I'm so afraid at the same time. And I don't know if I want to risk getting off the meds. I do so well on them and terrible off.... I don't want to chance a miscarriage ya know? Thanks y'all.

Last edited:
Hi, I have not been on Remicade, but I have been on another Category B medication. I had no problems through my pregnancy. I breastfed him for 14 months on the medication as well. My son is now 2 1/2 and he is perfectly fine. The benfits of me having the medicine outweighted the small risk so I continued it and all is well.

Well I was on Remicade and Imuran when we started TTC. When I found out I was pregnant which I was only 2 1/2 week in lol. I know my body well. It had been about 2 months since my last infusion... I only went every 3 months. Well I went to see my GI and he was not to pleased with me at all :) but told me not to get anymore infusion and sent me to a high risk doctor, they did a ultrasound at 6 weeks and she was all good in there. They did alittle research on the imuran and said it would be fine to take if I needed it. I decided that I didn't... I don't listen to well so went all the way through to term with no problems. My little girl is 19 months. I would try going off if possible if not I would told to a gyn about it. Best of luck!!!!!!!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I was on 2 different category B drugs while pregnant. Sulfasalazine for the first 6 months, and Asacol for the last 3 months. The only problems I had were low amniotic fluid, and I was on 1/2 day bed rest during the last trimester. She was a little underweight, 5Lbs 15 Oz, and they thought she might have kidney probs, but she was completely healthy. It could have been from the meds or the Crohn's, or any other reason.
I also breastfed on Asacol for 1 year.
Rosemarie had a baby a few months ago on Humira I believe.
Good luck with your decision!

I do'nt know firsthand, because I'm not on remicade, but after I had my resection, the subject of pregnancy and medication came up, and my GI had said that he would recommend that patients not be on remicade while pregnant, and to take something else (Imuran, or other sumilar drug) to control the flares. He said that sometimes if you stop remicade, and then start it after a while, it may not work as well as it did the first time around...but again, this is not first-hand knowledge. I'm pregnant, and taking Imuran, and was told not to stop the meds. Healthy mama=healthy babe.