• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Shingles?

I have been on Remicade for four years but recently increased from every 8 weeks to every 6 weeks due to a recent flare. I also take Imuran and just finished a two-month prednisone taper (due to the flare). This last week I was diagnosed with shingles. It started with swollen lymph nodes and pain, then the rash developed. It was miserable. I ended up in the hospital and the doctors there said I likely got it because I am immune suppressed from the medications. Anyone else experience shingles while on Remicade? I do see my GI doc tomorrow to get his take on things.

I did not get shingles while on Remicade but I know that some drugs for Crohn's can leave you more susceptible to sickness

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yup, I had shingles on my torso....it popped up between infusions...did not need to be hospitalized thankfully as I had it caught fairly quickly - was VERY painful though and I did have a week off work until the blisters healed over.

My GI only made a note in my chart, no change in treatments or any special precautions.

Yep, had it on my torso, lower right quadrant.

I went to urgent care and they prescribed Valtrex and that helped a lot.

I didn't even think to mention it to my GI ... until about a year later he was examining my stomach and noticed the scarring...

"What's going on here?"

"Oh, I had shingles about a year ago..."

"Uhm, you might have mentioned that sooner."