• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade Can It Be Restarted

L

leonghoward

I was on Remicade 2 yrs ago. stopped after being on high doses of prednisone for arthritis. I didn't see need to stay on it then. My Rheum doctor reduced my pred , although I an on 8 pills of methotrexate is it likely or possible GI doc to restart Remicade now that I am flaring?

K

kix66

I would think you could do Remicade again seeing as you didn't have a bad reaction to it you just decided to stop it. But with you on metho. now I'd be surprised if your doc would start Remi.
Hopefully you'll get thru this flare quick!

V

Valentina

hey Im on methotrexate and remicade as well, its the only way it all works for me.
the only thing with the remicade is that your body can build up antibodies, and I think this happens more often when you stop-restart treatment after a longer period than the suggested 8 week gap. so I would think they would just have to watch you carefully, and prob fill u up with lots of fun pre-meds just in case (I get 2 benadryl and 2 tylenol with mine, and was also getting IV steroids, but stopped them for my last 2 infussions)

this is all just me guessing of course, Im sure your DR will fill u in on all the details/possible side effects etc if they want to consider putting you back on the remicade.
good luck, and I hope you find some relief very soon.

D

D&G's Mommy

I stopped Remicade twice, both times to have babies, and started again. I never really felt it did much the first two times, but my third try at double the dose seemed to be the charm. Though a year later it, too, has seemed to lose its effect and I am now trying to get into the Humira trial.

S

Skinsfan1229

The GI at the university I go to, my "consulting" GI, says he's never had a problem with people having reactions after stopping if they take 50mg of prednisone the morning before, night before, and morning of, the treatment, a tyleneol, an aspirin, and benadryl, each to treat a different reaction.

You can build antibodies.

I think if your well enough to work and function then he might consider starting it, I dont believe most peopel start it as in the hospital as I've read only a few times. It seems like a maintenance drug quite a bit more then using it to try to get you into remission.

A

Amanda895rw

The risk of going off Remicade and then restarting it is that your body might've built up antibodies to it by now.

i was on it for 2 yrs, then had to stop cause i lost health ins. when i went to start up again it didnt work because of my body creating antibodys...

S

Skinsfan1229

For those that lose "funding" because of health insurance changes or similiar reasons, Centecor, the makers of Remicade, will give you the treatement for free in most cases, as long as you call Centecor.

But your still going to have to pay the cost of getting it infused out of pocket unless you can work out a deal with the hospital/doctors office....

Skinsfan1229 said:
I think if your well enough to work and function then he might consider starting it, I dont believe most peopel start it as in the hospital as I've read only a few times. It seems like a maintenance drug quite a bit more then using it to try to get you into remission.
They are using it to try to get me into remission and if it works the plan is to maintain the remission with 6mp, I guess it's because the Infliximab is not considered "standard" treamtment for Crohn's here and to get my health fund to pay for it I have to be admitted overnight rather than fork out $3000 an infusion

S

Skinsfan1229

Your at very high odds of creating antibodies by doing this danika.

Remicade has shown to work better WITH 6mp, and vice versa....Dont waste it, and possiblity not be able to use it when you need it life or death.

Its not the infusion that is expensive its the actual medication.

I heard that if U restart remicade there is a huge chance of a allergic reaction which would cause havoc on your body. But this is what my doctor told me and what does he know lol

to sum it up.. once u start, don't stop until you're immune to its benefits. or use it at a time you know you'll use it till it stops working?

F

fgillette1986

I went off and on Remicade for about 2 1/2 years to treat flare ups. Only recently have I had an allergic reaction. It depends on whether your body has built up resistance to it or not.