• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade/cancer

My doctor recommended Remicade. All the treatments for Crohn's scare me. They all have cancer as a risk. My son is 13 and and is at the age for the biggest risk of cancer. I wish there was something safe to help him. The Modulen is not working for him...been on it for 6 weeks and just had a flare up.

My son is 15 and we had to make the Remicade decision right after diagnosis. I'm so sorry your son is not doing well with the current treatment. The studies I read and from what my GI said the scariest risk hasn't been substantiated with Remicade alone but when it is used in combination with I belive 6mp or Imuran I could be mistaken on the combo drug but even then when both are used the risk is only slightly higher than that of the general public getting hepatosplenic t cell lymphoma. There is actually a thread on here where you can see the statistics compared. I would recommend researching all you can on credible site, writing down all your anxieties and questions and going over them with the GI. Also there is a Remicade subforum here that you can browse. I will tell you that the Remicade has done wonders for my son and we have seen him improve so much. Sending good thoughts your way! Btw this forum is great for support and information, check out the parents of kids with IBD sub forum, wealth of info there!

David

Co-Founder
I wanted to echo what Clash said. I'm sorry you're having to make such a tough decision, my heart goes out to you :(

It's too bad the Modulen wasn't helping. Was he on total enteral nutrition or were you just supplementing the Modulen with regular food?

I wanted to echo what Clash said. I'm sorry you're having to make such a tough decision, my heart goes out to you :(

It's too bad the Modulen wasn't helping. Was he on total enteral nutrition or were you just supplementing the Modulen with regular food?
Actually he was on total nutrition for 6 weeks but started having diarrhea and blood in his stools on the 5th week.