• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade has been great for me

I was diagnosed in 1982, at that time there was not a blood test or way to differentiate between crohns and ulcerative colitis. My symptoms have always been mild (according to the medical people) and limited to the lower colon and rectum. I would experience flare ups 3-4 times per year and have to take steroids (prednisone) and Rowasa enemas. I have been on sulfa based drugs, 6mp, and other oral drugs that never seemed effective. I started remicade about 3 years ago and what a difference. Normal bowel movements and no flare ups. I was able to stop all other drugs. I have heard and read that once you stop remicade you cannot start it again, something about your body rejects it. My Dr wisely avoided starting me on humira, the drug coverage would not allow him to prescribe a higher dosage by weight which he could do for remicade. It has been challenging paying for remicade with a high deductible health coverage plan. For anyone on remicade, check into remi-start, it is sponsored by the drug company and pays almost 85% of the cost.

My Father was also diagnosed with crohns after he quit smoking cigarettes for 45 years. There seems to be a genetic link with this disease. There also seems to be a masking affect from tobacco. He also was on remicade for 3-4 years but ended up stopping his infusion treatments. He had severe blood issues and got better once he quit remicade.

Be sure to get regular blood tests with these biological drugs.

I am pleased to see that people are much more willing to talk about this disease and share their experiences.