• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade is a lifesaver!

So a bit of my story...

I was diagnosed in 2008 after a few years of symptoms. I was put on entocort for 6 months and then remicade.. Stayed on Remicade for 6 years, I did great on it.. I never had a major flare. Led a very normal life.

In 2014 I became pregnant and had a healthy baby boy in October, I stayed on remicade up until the third trimester. I decided to take time off of meds, as I was doing great, so that I could breastfeed.

In 2015 I started Cimzia as I was becoming symptomatic (hindsight is 20/20 I never would have gone off meds) After 2 months I developed CDiff and continued with that for 6 months. Finally had a fecal transplant in Oct 2015.

Felt great until Jan 2016 where I started having severe pain. I ended up having a microperforation and several fistulas developing.. I was referred to Mayo and was told to start Imuran and restart Remicade. (I also had to do yet another round of cipro and flagyl which I'm pretty sure are the most disgusting meds I've ever taken)

I had my first Remicade Infusion April 1st(have been on imuran now for a few weeks at this point) I finally finished my cipro and flagyl mix.

I have to say I'm feeling pretty decent.. After 1 infusion.. I ate mac and cheese with my son this weekend, I haven't been able to do that in who knows how long.. I haven't eaten pasta in forever. I still have pain, but it's much much much better.

I want to encourage those thinking of remicade, that it can be a great tool to get back to a normal life.. Unfortunately it probably doesn't work as well for everyone. But it's given me my life. I'm looking forward to this summer finally, hanging out with my family.