Is the inflammation perianal?My son is on remicade a high dose every 4 weeks and methotrexate 7.5mg 1x a week. He has done well on both for the most part. There was a time his liver enzymes were high and he had to go off methotrexate and then he went back on after a month of bloodwork. Regarding remicade he gets a pre-dose of steroids if not he has thrown up during treatment and woke up feeling like he couldn't breath. We get our infusions at the Lurie Childrne's hospital Chicago it's kind of a drive for us monthly but there is a Physician Assistant in the area for if things are not quite right. This combination has gotten my son 95% clear of inflammation the other 5% we struggle with he's supposed to take Pentasa and is refusing in every way. This small area has caused him chronic daily pain. I wish your child much luck and success with these meds we have been happy.
Thank youMy daughter has done well on the Remicade/methotrexate combo. She started on Remicade right after being diagnosed with Crohn's, and then her doctor added 15mg of oral methotrexate about 3 months later.
After a year of being on that treatment combo, our doctor took her off the methotrexate to see if Remicade would be enough on its own. Six months later, she was flaring, so we added the methotrexate back in, and she's doing better again.
The only side effect she gets from methotrexate is mild nausea, which we control with zofran. The only side effect she's had from from Remicade is scalp psoriasis, but she doesn't get that as long as she's on methotrexate.