• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade pre-meds? Solu-cortef?

My Daughter is having her first Remicade infusion right now. So far it seems to be going okay except for the anxiety, (hers and mine).

The nurse explained that she was starting with a pre-med called solu-cortef. She explained that it was a short acting corticosteroid, and that pretty much everyone gets it.

I didn't know that she was going to be getting this. Can someone explain what the reason for getting this is?

Will this have the same concerns as taking Prednisone?

I couldn't find much information about this. Even Remicade FAQ's don't mention anything about having to take this.

I get hydrocortisone and solu-cortef is the same. its about 8 times weaker than pred and apart from a temporary energetic feeling that is cancelled out by the anti-histamine I have no ill effects form it at all. it is used to reduce a reaction form the remicade. don't worry its very mild and mostly every1 gets the same.

Corticosteroid hormones are also involved in controlling inflammatory responses in the body. Hydrocortisone has an anti-inflammatory effect and is used to decrease inflammation in various different diseases and conditions.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/allergy-and-asthma/medicines/solu-cortef-injection.html#ixzz2SdbWia4a

ju

I got Benedryl and solu-corlef, it a just incase thing. If she were to have a reaction they have meds already working for her. I only recieved 3 remicade infusions, before going to Humira, but after first 1 I asked not to get pre-meds and they got with dr. and he ok'd it.

Anxiety is my worse enemy, I am a nervous wreck getting medications, First infusion I called the nurse probably 10 times and everytime is was symptom of anxiety not medicine. Today I got Venofer for first time and it was same deal nurse was standing behind me making face's to my wife, because she said my mind was making me have symptoms that were not present.

Oh ask nurse for drug fact card for any medication that you want to know more about, they may have to walk to pharmacy to get it, but they will be ok.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I get it too, along with IV benadryl to help offset any possible reactions during the infusion. Haven't had anything happen, no issue with any side effects, as stated above, it is shorter acting and weaker.....nothing like taking pred pills...

Thanks for the replies guys,

Seems like there isn't much concern with taking this, and everyone seems to get it. She got 100mgs today.

My anxiety was through the roof on my first few treatments. Pre meds are important and really should be used. It helps prevent side affects and the steroid really is short acting.

Lauren

tots/Kirsten,

It seems that most feel the anxiety when transitioning onto a new treatment. Especially one of this magnitude.

Good Luck Kristen. Everything seemed to go very well with the first infusion, and there were several others there at the same time receiving their infusions as well. Some of them were very supportive, saying not to worry, and there's nothing to it.

Tom.

yes there is nothing to it. the nurses all know what to look out for. you're in good hands and if, like me, you're getting the infusion in a hospital, doctors aren't too far away.
I get super nervous when starting anything new. 1st it was pred, then remicade and now its 6-mp on top of remicade. im certain the anxiety will pass as it has in the past.
ju

I'm curious why they would give her pre-meds right off the get-go. I started getting Remicade in January ad haven't been getting any pre-meds, was told I wouldn't unless it became apparent that I needed them.

Trysha

Staff member
I never received pre meds.
I had a bad reaction after the second infusion, but GI said I had to continue.
After the third infusion the reaction was more serious and he said it had to be discontinued.
He also said he might restart with cover of pre meds, ie benadryl, solucortef and tylenol.
I don't want any more.It has increased my liver ALT.Hope that comes down again.
Trysha

Not sure why either of you haven't recieved the pre-meds. It's all still kind of new to me. I didn't know anything about getting the solu-cortef until yesterday, and as I indicated, it seems that everyone gets this.
I was under the impressing that only Benedryl would be given, and the nurse said we'll give it to you if you need it, so didn't take it.
I guess different GI's just prescribe differently.

Not sure why either of you haven't recieved the pre-meds. It's all still kind of new to me. I didn't know anything about getting the solu-cortef until yesterday, and as I indicated, it seems that everyone gets this.
I was under the impressing that only Benedryl would be given, and the nurse said we'll give it to you if you need it, so didn't take it.
I guess different GI's just prescribe differently.
that's true. also im in Ireland so different sides of the world. ive noticed the irish and uk docs are more careful. it might be because health care is free and they don't worry about cost to the patient if that makes sense.
ju