• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade Question

What happens if you take Remicade while sick? I'm supposed to get an infusion today and I woke up with a sore throat.

don't worry unless you are running a fever over 100. Anything serious would show up in you lab work right before your treatment.

Exactly. Anything serious they will flag on your labs that they do
before the infusion anyway. I have had my infusion done with colds,
even a really bad Staph infection. Doctor told me he couldnt
promise nothing bad would happen, but that it was worth the risk
of something bad happening rather than getting a flare again.
So, no problems with infusions mixed with infections/sick yet...
::runs to knock on wood::

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I had it one time after I had been sick with a cold. I was not running fever ever during the illness. I didn't notice anything different afterwards....If you are really feeling ill, I would call the doctor for advice. If it is a mild illness and you feel you are in the process of getting over it, you probably will do fine.

Fog Ducker said:
I thik the only worry is if you are on antibiotics. If you are you are supposed to wait 2 weeks till getting Remicade

I am not too sure about this. I was told being on antibiotics was alright. But probably best to check with your Dr.

What the nurse always ask me are questions that pertain to if I have had an infection within the last 2 weeks (sinus, tooth, cough etc).

I have had a mild cold, but that is about it when getting remicade. Somehow the appointment falls when I am not sick.

Reading some of the other posts...how many have labs done prior to having remicade? I get labs done about 2 times a year, but not everytime

farm

Captain Insaneo
krahsdnal said:
I have had a mild cold, but that is about it when getting remicade. Somehow the appointment falls when I am not sick.

Reading some of the other posts...how many have labs done prior to having remicade? I get labs done about 2 times a year, but not everytime
I'm with you. I get labs like twice a year and that's it.

My remi nurse draws blood prior to the infusion. Its great, Im already there, no special trip, and Im already getting poked so why not!