• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade slide - how long 'til it kicks?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
So.. my GI failed to authorize my Remicade prescription, and the hospital cancelled my appointment. I have been in a great remission for almost 1 year.

10 days after my missed infusion, I started getting symptoms back - diarrhea, frequency and urgency. I woke in the middle of the night to go, which I only do in a flare.
11 days after my missed infusion, I had those 3 symptoms plus blood.
12 days after my missed infusion I had those 4 symptoms plus mucus.
I seem to be sliding quickly. Today I have already gone 5 times, and it's only 8 am.

QUESTION - I know that a lot of you have "slid" at week 6 or 7 before your 8 week infusion. How long does it take to kick back in once you are infused again?? I only have to wait 2 more days until my appointment, but I am getting upset already =(

When I slid it would take me about 2-3 days to kick back in. HOWEVER, when I was double dosed and at 5 week intervals I would slide at week 4.5 and by the time I took the infusion it wouldn't kick in for a week. Good luck chick!

MBH I am sad to hear that. Hopefully your body will respond quickly when you have your treatment. Do you get side effects from it? Try to have a nice weekend. Good luck!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Sorry MBH...Try not to stress too much, it will only make things worse. I'm waiting for authorization again...If the dose doesn't seem to set you back in remission, maybe you will need another dose sooner to get thinks back in gear???

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Weird... I am totally fine today, so it couldn't have been the Remicade. The only thing I can think of is that I ate a pear the night before I felt awful. I can't imagine that one pear could give me 3 days of hell, but I can't explain it otherwise. I guess that's good news.
Yay for Remi tomorrow anyways!

You know, it is kinda weird - I've had to postpone my infusions several times before and one time I'd be ok and the next time I'd go the entire infusion cycle feeling like it just didn't take. I'm sure you have figured out it has gotten a bit dicey for me over the past 6 months or so anyway - so I'm probably not one for advice on it.

I can't eat pears even though I love them - they would have done pretty much exactly what you described - I'd be sick and crampy for a few days. Never can figure it out - best guess is I don't do well with pectin. Hopefully that is all it was for you as well. It will be interesting to see if you are able to stay quiet after your next infusion - I hope so.

Pears are weirdly structured fruits. Ever notice how they are gritty in texture? The grit is due to the sclerenchyma (a tissue level of the pear) having actual silica crystals within sclereid cells. They are fibrous, and you know how we do with fiber.

I read some where in a CRohn's diet book, that if you want to eat pear, it's recommended to eat them peeled and cooked....