• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade starting to wear off?

EmilyHGates

EmmyGates
I’m sure this has been asked but does remicade start wearing off or does it just stop working quickly? I have been on it for almost 5 years now and have always been able to eat salads or healthy type stuff as long as I’ve been on remicade; however, now I’m starting to notice that’s not the case over the last few months. Wondering if anyone can give some insight on this! Thanks!

Remicade can lose effectiveness over time but you might just need tweaking. What symptoms are you experiencing? Have you had your trough levels checked lately? Those levels will determine if you have enough Remicade in your system. You might need adjustment. What is your current dose now and do you find that you can't eat everything when it's closer to your infusion time?

As Jo-mom said it is probably a good idea to get your remicade levels checked. If by some chance your medication levels are adequate, adding an immunosuppressant such as 6-mp or methotrexate have shown to enhance the response to a biologic and it also helps prevent your body from forming anti-bodies to the biologic. Of course, always remember to ask your doctor to see what he thinks is going on too.

EmilyHGates

EmmyGates
Thanks for the info! I have an appt on 8/29 and will ask for my levels to be checked. I just had an infusion last week and have noticed having more symptoms than I used to- although I’m still in what I’d consider remission, just noticing some changes and definitely think having levels checked is key. Thanks and take care!