• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade to Cimzia to maybe Humira

I was diagnosed at age 66, 5 years ago, with Crohn's disease. After a second colonoscopy I was diagnosed with UC. All of the mesalamine drugs were used but as the disease progressed, they were no longer effective. I took Remicaid for nearly one year and it offered a bit of relief, but I had to quit because of allergic reactions during infusion. Next I tried Cimzia injections as part of a study group. Cimzia was not effective. Now the doctor is suggesting Humira, but that drug is just so costly. If there were a "money-back guarantee" on it's use, perhaps that would make it more inviting, but because neither Remicade nor Cimzia were able to put me into remission, I can't help but wonder if the huge cost of Humira is worthwhile.

I would love to know if others who had tried Remicade without great success did find help from Humira.

Bobbie

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Bobbie and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear that the meds aren't working out for you and that the cost of Humira may be a stumbling block to trying it. I won't go into universal health care! :eek2: :lol:

If you haven't already found them we do a Remicade Club and a Humira Club you may like to post questions on.

I certainly hope that if you do get onto Humira it does the trick for you.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Dusty. xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Bobby! Were you paying for Remi out of pocket? I can't imagine anyone, save Bill Gates or Warren Buffett, paying out of pocket for the biologicals. You're 71, what about medicare? Good luck!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Bobbie! I don't have any experience with Remicade or Humira, but I have read many stories of people who didn't respond to Remicade did well with Humira. I certainly think it is worth a shot. However, I know these treatments are expensive. Perhaps your GI can recommend a way to get assistance. If you decide to try it, I sure hope it works wonders for you!