• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade vs. Humira

Just wondering what the major differences are between Remicade and Humira.

I know that Remicade has some mouse proteins in it, which I understand is the source of antibody production when using Remicade, which can cause a problem with going back on Remicade if you stop for a period of time.

If that's the case, why wouldn't people just use Humira (which doesn't have the mouse proteins and subsequent antibody issues)?

Seems like Remicade is much more popular for some reason?

If I'm not mistaken, Remicade is older and more "grounded" as far as backing of science goes, even though Humira has proved itself too. Humira is one of the prime candidates I'm shooting for if a higher dose of Remicade fails me too. I've been on the Remicade for nearly 4 months and haven't been too close to remission yet, a little better but that's likely from shotgun therapy. A higher dose of it is all that's left to try before giving up on it. Humira I think would be next, as the second GI I went to last month said many of his patients who didn't respond to Remi. did better with Humira.

There's a newer one Cimzia too, if your docs out there in Europe (where you're from if I recall) can get ahold of that too if all else fails.

BWS1982 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Remicade is older and more "grounded" as far as backing of science goes, even though Humira has proved itself too. Humira is one of the prime candidates I'm shooting for if a higher dose of Remicade fails me too. I've been on the Remicade for nearly 4 months and haven't been too close to remission yet, a little better but that's likely from shotgun therapy. A higher dose of it is all that's left to try before giving up on it. Humira I think would be next, as the second GI I went to last month said many of his patients who didn't respond to Remi. did better with Humira.

There's a newer one Cimzia too, if your docs out there in Europe (where you're from if I recall) can get ahold of that too if all else fails.
Thanks for the info. I live in the U.S. (but, please, I did not vote for george w.)

Did you used to live in Europe? I guess I'm too groggy still from all this fatigue.

Cimzia is a new alternative that was recently approved in case that needs to be considered (not that it helps in your "Remicade vs. Humira" conundrum, having a third candidate thrown on the table may not simplify things).

Edit: sorry, I found why I was thinking you were from Europe I think, I guess I made an assumption by inferring it even though you didn't directly say it. This quote below is 2 months old and I was hanging onto it in my memory as stored that you were thusly from Europe. Sorry......took it out of context I guess, may have been speaking to a European and making a comparison

dad_01 said:
I'm trying to sort out the major theories of crohns, in order to make decisions on future treatment for my son. Right now we are going the conventional medical route (conventional, at least as far as europe is concerned, if I understand correctly) and he is using an ng feeding tube at night - six to seven nights a week - to take in about 800 ml of this special nutritional stuff.

Last edited:
P

pennywanna

dad_01 said:

I know that Remicade has some mouse proteins in it, which I understand is the source of antibody production when using Remicade, which can cause a problem with going back on Remicade if you stop for a period of time.

If that's the case, why wouldn't people just use Humira (which doesn't have the mouse proteins and subsequent antibody issues)?

Hey, Dad 01,,, I have been on most all the meds, I was on Remicade and was allergic to it and it affected my Lymphatic nerves, I was rushed to the hospital and was in major pain, 2 percs every 4 hours for 4 days, it went into my jaw and into one of my feet. I noticed it on my 3rd shot, and wasnt noticing any improvement anyways. I am now on Humira, and took my 6th shot, I started on Mar 28th. The progress was up and down and now, no pains and has been 2 weeks. Remicade takes a lot longer to administer and yes 40% mouse protein, and the Humira has none, all human. The price difference is major too. I was told since it was a different molecule, it should work. I inject my own needles, the epi-pen seemed more painful. The Cizmia, I just heard about, probably along the same lines, different molecule. As the TNF a factors are biological, it will be trial and error on patients the same as Imuran, Pentasa, and Prednisone and so forth. You have to decide, the way to go. Yes, there are risks with all drugs. Not everyone is affected as others can be, I wish you luck and have patience for your son. Everyone here can give you their opinion, but as we have said, not all drugs work for someone else. Best of luck.

Penny

butt-eze

Superstar
I don't think I could add more to what Benson said. I agree that Remicade has been around longer and that is likely why it is tried first.

I tried Remicade and failed. I will try Humira after my next colonoscopy.

I do think that you, Dad01, have a good point. It seems to make more sense to try Humira first. However, I think that trying Humira before Remicade eliminates the possibility of Remicade in the future. This is just my theory but if you try Humira and fail it seems unlikely that Remicade would work??? I'm sure that's wrong but none of us know the right answers.

I will say that all of the questions you are raising and research you are doing is what will ensure that your son gets the best care possible. Don't stop probing and searching. And, when you find the answers please share with the rest of us :)

butt-eze said:
I don't think I could add more to what Benson said. I agree that Remicade has been around longer and that is likely why it is tried first.

I tried Remicade and failed. I will try Humira after my next colonoscopy.

I do think that you, Dad01, have a good point. It seems to make more sense to try Humira first. However, I think that trying Humira before Remicade eliminates the possibility of Remicade in the future. This is just my theory but if you try Humira and fail it seems unlikely that Remicade would work??? I'm sure that's wrong but none of us know the right answers.

I will say that all of the questions you are raising and research you are doing is what will ensure that your son gets the best care possible. Don't stop probing and searching. And, when you find the answers please share with the rest of us :)
Why would taking Humira first eliminate the possibility of taking remicade in the future?

Kev

I don't know if taking Humira first would rule out Remicade down the line. Thats a wild assed guess on my part. Here's another. That docs opt to go with Remicade first because it has been around longer (Humira was just given the green light here as of Sept/07).. that maybe health insurers insist on it first... tho it doesn't make economic sense, but could be a buearacratic thing... AND, if the Remicade fails, there a good chance that Humira won't.. leaving it as a last option if all else fails. Hard to 2nd guess
the rationale... it would be simpler to pin the doctor down as to their own reasoning. It may be as stupid as.. "That's the way I've always done it!"

Kev said:
I don't know if taking Humira first would rule out Remicade down the line. Thats a wild assed guess on my part. Here's another. That docs opt to go with Remicade first because it has been around longer (Humira was just given the green light here as of Sept/07).. that maybe health insurers insist on it first... tho it doesn't make economic sense, but could be a buearacratic thing... AND, if the Remicade fails, there a good chance that Humira won't.. leaving it as a last option if all else fails. Hard to 2nd guess
the rationale... it would be simpler to pin the doctor down as to their own reasoning. It may be as stupid as.. "That's the way I've always done it!"
One of the attending physicians on the floor of the hospital we're at is involved in a study of remicade. I'm hoping that that is not influencing her decision for the remicade reccomendation.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Like others have said, the medications work so differently for different people. I LOVE prednisone, and other people absolutely HATE it. My doctor actually let me pick between Remicade and Humira. I guess they are that similar that he didn't care which one I chose. I chose Humira just because the mouse protien freaked me out, and I'd rather have a quick injection than a 3 hour IV. Also, with Remicade the patient can start having symptoms come back before the next dose 8 weeks later. Humira is every 2 weeks, and lessens that chance.
I noticed my horrible symptoms getting better on day 6 after my first Humira injection. I've been on it for 13 weeks now, and I feel 95% normal.
Good luck with your decision for your son.

dad_01 said:

Humira gave me an allergic reaction. I had stopped injecting myself after the
3rd or 4th month. I just happened to be one of those 22%people whom had
the reactions . Now I am back on remicade and praying that it will work on
me as well as it did (back 7 or 8 yrs.)when it was first became available in Canada.

My son is back home now - he was discharged from the hospital.

He thought he might go to school this afternoon, but he realizes he is in too much discomfort to do that. He had a drainable abcess and a partial fistula - the partial fistula didn't tunnel all the way through to anywhere yet, but they still put in a plastic drainage piece that looks like a straw. He has about an inch of it sticking out of one of his buttocks.

I found out last night that it is actually sutured in, so walking, or even sitting, is pretty uncomfortable. The stitches are dissolvable, and will dissolve anywhere from 3 days to a week, depending on who you ask.

I want to thank everyone again for all the comments and great suggestions and support!