• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade - why is it given in a hospital?

My son is getting his second remicade infusion today, and it will be done in a hospital, over a four hour period.

Just wondering - why are remicade treatments administered this way, versus something like 6mp, which if I understand correctly is taken by the patient as a pill (maybe even at home?)?

It's taken at the hospital because it's an intravenous procedure. They also want to monitor you to make sure there are no side effects. They take blood pressure and temperature every half hour to keep your vitals. It's not a simple thing like a pill and it needs to be done correctly. 6-mp is a pill that you take at home that in most cases won't cause an immediate side effect like can happen on remicade. I hope this answered you a bit.

Jeff D. said:
It's taken at the hospital because it's an intravenous procedure. They also want to monitor you to make sure there are no side effects. They take blood pressure and temperature every half hour to keep your vitals. It's not a simple thing like a pill and it needs to be done correctly. 6-mp is a pill that you take at home that in most cases won't cause an immediate side effect like can happen on remicade. I hope this answered you a bit.
Yes, this was helpful.

I figured that at least one of the reasons was so they could monitor how he is doing while he is receiving the remicade (he had all sorts of things connected to him when he received his first infusion).

Is there a list somewhere of the side effects that are of concern during the infusion process.

Pen said:
Hi there, hope your son is doing well on Remicade! I was on Remicade and Jeff is right, it has to be a sterile place, and so they can monitor you, nurses are trained to help in a situation should anyone become ill at that moment. I was on Remicade, and it is funny because now I am on Humira, way cheaper (fully covered tho) and way more easier to do it at home. I inject myself every two weeks with a syringe. Strange how some are monitored and in a clinic and some at home. Good luck with your son's health, I couldnt begin to understand what YOU are going through mentally. I have had this disease for 15 diagnosed and over 30 since I was 17 yrs old. None of these drugs were available, so I think when they catch it, he will be back to normal alot faster. You are such a wonderful dad. My own mother wasnt so compassionate, your son is a lucky person, to have you there for him. Support means alot, more than you know. Hugs!

Penny
Thanks for your compliments - you're too gracious. A part of me wonders whether my son would be in this situation - having crohns - if I had forced him to have a better diet all along - more vegetables, salads, etc.

Hugs back!

Pen said:
Hi there, hope your son is doing well on Remicade! I was on Remicade and Jeff is right, it has to be a sterile place, and so they can monitor you, nurses are trained to help in a situation should anyone become ill at that moment. I was on Remicade, and it is funny because now I am on Humira, way cheaper (fully covered tho) and way more easier to do it at home. I inject myself every two weeks with a syringe. Strange how some are monitored and in a clinic and some at home. Good luck with your son's health, I couldnt begin to understand what YOU are going through mentally. I have had this disease for 15 diagnosed and over 30 since I was 17 yrs old. None of these drugs were available, so I think when they catch it, he will be back to normal alot faster. You are such a wonderful dad. My own mother wasnt so compassionate, your son is a lucky person, to have you there for him. Support means alot, more than you know. Hugs!

Penny
I seem to recall that when I asked one of the GI's about remicade versus humeria for my son, she seeemed to suggest that it had something to do with insurance reimbursement for pediatric use of humiira, that is, that humira would not be reimbursable for pediatric use but remicade would be. Maybe there haven't been clinical studies yet for pediatric use of humera for crohns.

mike said:
My GI office has a seperate dept. for remicade infusions so I don't get them in a hospital. An allergic type reaction can occur during the infusion but it has never happened to me. There are normally 2-3 other people getting an infusion at the same time and I've never seen anyone have a reaction. A couple of people have told me about getting a reaction during their infusion and they were given benadryl or something similar and everything was then o.k. Some of them get benadryl before the infusion as a preventative measure, but they still are on remicade. I've been getting remicade about 5 yrs and have gotten about 40 infusions. It has been very effective for me. If you can find a GI group that specializes in remicade it's a lot more pleasant experience than the hospital setting. Nice comfy recliners instead of hospital beds, t.v. and soon hi-speed internet plus the staff is very good at the process as this is all they do. I hope it works as well for your son as it did for me. - Mike
What are some of the reactions that the doctors are looking for as you're recieving a remicade infusion - breathing problems?

D

Digits

about 2 years into have remicade, i had a reaction out of the blue, called Serum Sickness, im not sure exactly the cause and all that, but google is a great tool, lol.

other reactions ive heard abotu or experienced is swelling of the brething things, hives, itching, drop in BP, etc.

dad_01 said:
Thanks for your compliments - you're too gracious. A part of me wonders whether my son would be in this situation - having crohns - if I had forced him to have a better diet all along - more vegetables, salads, etc.

Hugs back!
Arrrrgh!!!

I tend to get violent when people suggest this.

Crohn's is a genetic disorder of the immune system. Diet has nothing to do with it (disregarding triggers).

Its often given in a hospital because it is the easiest facility to get it done at. However, a lot of GI doctors or rheumatologists have facilities to perform the infusions as well. There is no need for sterility, just someone monitoring the patients during the infusion process. If you did some research at rheumatologists in the area, I'm sure you could find one that performs remicade infusions at a fraction of the hospital cost. However, if the extra cost doesn't matter (i.e. good insurance coverage) then just stick with the hospital since it is by far the easiest site to goto.

I never had a reaction to remicade so I don't really know. I got to take a benedryl before I had the infusion though.

Pen said:
Wow, didnt know that, are you from the states? Sorry I cannot remember. I guess seeing as he is in pediatric age, I never realized this. I have full coverage, so no matter the cost. Humira is still very new in Canada, I am my GI's first patient on it, because I was the only one who reacted to Remicade. Even when I reacted to Remicade, he had to phone some of his collegues because my reaction was so extremely rare, only one or two other cases. I just saw my GI yesterday and it was the first time I saw him smile, I Know he was concerned of my well being, I still have minor pain in my left quad, but I am told these biologics take at least a few months to kick in. Dont worry if you dont see results right away. I have some friends on Remicade and other than the Big D, they are very happy and it is working for them. Best of luck with your son, fingers crossed for you both.
Yes, I'm in the states.:)

Creepy Lurker said:
Arrrrgh!!!

I tend to get violent when people suggest this.

Crohn's is a genetic disorder of the immune system. Diet has nothing to do with it (disregarding triggers).
Well, that's what I'm figuring. I'm assuming there is a genetic predisposition to crohns that can be triggered by environment. I'm not spending too much sleep worrying about what could have been done differently in the past; I'm not one to dwell on that too much and anyway, in this case, it's something that would be difficult to know.

saidinstouch said:
Its often given in a hospital because it is the easiest facility to get it done at. However, a lot of GI doctors or rheumatologists have facilities to perform the infusions as well. There is no need for sterility, just someone monitoring the patients during the infusion process. If you did some research at rheumatologists in the area, I'm sure you could find one that performs remicade infusions at a fraction of the hospital cost. However, if the extra cost doesn't matter (i.e. good insurance coverage) then just stick with the hospital since it is by far the easiest site to goto.
Our insurance covers it; I just didn't know what the reasons were for the hospital method of the remicade treatment; it just seemed like such a big contrast to how 6mp and humira are given.

L

Lori E

monitoring during remicade

I was on Remicade for 2 years before Humira and I also take Imuran. While on Remicade I had some histamine reactions. Itching and nausea. My GI nurse helped me find a way to minimize both. Claratin and Benadril at the start was a big help. Was fine about 2 hours after treatment. No BP issues and my diet has nothing to do with it. I feel better when I eat right, but who doesn't. Good luck.