• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade

Hubby Pete has had about 6 treatments of Remicade (we call it Infliximab) Will he have to go for another colonoscopy? In remision (thank you) he feels so much better, this time last year I thought I had lost him, without been too dramatic, by the time he went into hospital for the third time he couldn't remember anything.

My GI doesnt do them if I feel fine. If I am in remission he only does them every 5 years, to check for colon cancer or polyps. People with crohns have a higher risk of colon cancer.

It depends on his age. There is a higher increase for colon cancer with crohn's disease. I am 43, just had my second resection 3 months ago, now with a new skip area and started remicade last Thursday. My GI and I both talked about it, and to give me assurance for now, we have agreed on yearly colonoscopy's for my own piece of mind, but probably very uneccessary that close together. But in the same respect, I had a colonoscopy last year that was normal, and within the next 8 months developed active crohn's requiring surgery and now have a skip area we are treating with remicade. So who knows, everyone is so different. A consult with his GI is in order! Not sure if that helps or hurts.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to get one every 2 years, or sooner if flaring...currently get one every year, but I do have a loooong history with this disease...30 plus years now.....