• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade

hi, my name is Alex. im 11 years old and i was diagnosed with crohns when i was 6. My doctor wants to start me on remicade, but i dont want to. he also gave me another suggestion, i could go on a diet called"fodmap diet". what do you think of remicade. the only reason i dont want to do it is because i do not like the side affects at all. has anyone had any bad side affects?

nogutsnoglory

What is the condition of your disease? Remicade as well as the other biologics do have serious side effects but those are typically rare. There are more common allergic reactions and side effects that are manageable. I wonder if I'm the only one who finds it odd your doctor gave you the option between Remicade and the Fodmap diet.

i dont know if it is odd or not. the only thing i know is that the fodmap diet is supposed to help.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
If your doctor is recommending remicade, there is probably a good reason. Have you been on other medications? If so, what......ans yes, side effects can happen, but not to all, and it is important to catch any early.

Please check the remicade forum for lots of great information.

Hi Alex,
My 13 year old son has Crohn's and we are right near you in Boise. Usually when your doctor is recommending remicade it is because you need it. There are lots of other kids who feel so much better after starting remicade and don't have all the symptoms from your crohns.
The remicade can have some side effects like making you a little sleepy after words. The doctors keep you there a little while after your infusion to make sure everything is okay. A lot of kids have tons of energy after words.
My son started out on Imuran and Prednisone when he was diagnosed at 10 years old. He takes Pentasa now along with another medicine called low dose naltrexone.
I don't know anything about food map but work with your doctors and your parents to figure out the best choice to make you feel better

nogutsnoglory

Are you sure your doctor is saying remicade or low fodmap or saying the two combined will be good? My doctor is fine with me experimenting with diets but only in conjunction with medication.

Hi Alex,
Alex, No child should have to endure this crohns mess! Don't be scared of the remicade, it's so simple and easy to administer. I could not take it, due to a built up of antibodies. Make sure your mom or dad is with you, right beside you! And you will have, or should have a nurse right there with you also. Sometimes they give you Benadryl before they start, just in case you start itching or have a reaction to it. But trust me when I say, if you have a reaction, the nurses will be on it faster than you can count to ten!! You will be just fine Alex!

my little penguin

Staff member
Yeah that ^^
My 9 year old also takes remicade
He feels really good.
He has gained weight and grown alot since being on it.
He also is able to do his favorite sports again.

hi, my name is Alex. im 11 years old and i was diagnosed with crohns when i was 6. My doctor wants to start me on remicade, but i dont want to. he also gave me another suggestion, i could go on a diet called"fodmap diet". what do you think of remicade. the only reason i dont want to do it is because i do not like the side affects at all. has anyone had any bad side affects?

Alex first of all I just want to say I'm so sorry that someone your age has had to go through so much. I was recently diagnosed (April 2012). I was in the hospital most of last year and I have tried literally every treatment there is.

Remicade was the last of the things I tried and I'd have to say it was the best. I didn't show any side effects. Maybe I got lucky, maybe they aren't all that common. I would say when considering your choice think about your symptoms that Crohn's causes you. Remicade got rid of all my symptoms and I began to gain my weight back. Since Remicade I have been able to do the things I used to.

Hi Alex,
Alex, No child should have to endure this crohns mess! Don't be scared of the remicade, it's so simple and easy to administer. I could not take it, due to a built up of antibodies. Make sure your mom or dad is with you, right beside you! And you will have, or should have a nurse right there with you also. Sometimes they give you Benadryl before they start, just in case you start itching or have a reaction to it. But trust me when I say, if you have a reaction, the nurses will be on it faster than you can count to ten!! You will be just fine Alex!
Hi Alex,

I have been on lots of different types of medication (including the ones you are on now) and Remicade has worked best for me. I do feel a little loopy afterwards and they give me both Benedryl and a steroid (hydrocortisone) before my dose and also I take Tylenol and my everyday allergy med. with all of that, I don't have a lot of side effects as of the day after. You do have to make sure that you watch out for folks with colds and stuff, but I do fine as long as I wash my hands or use sanitizer a lot. Definitely talk to your doc...I know that biologics (meds like Remicade or Humira) can be scary, but they're pretty amazing!