• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade??

Im new to all this, but my doctor seems to be avoiding remicade for me he thinks its not suitable and has to many side effects but i keep hearing its a miracle drug for Crohn's ny opinions??

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Remicade is working VERY well for me at the moment. Humira was too, but then it quit working.
If you do a search on here for Remicade you will find a lot of discussion about it.
What are you on now? What are your symptoms? I am not having any side effects from the Remi. There is a risk of allergic reaction, I guess - but there are lists of risks with every medication.
Welcome to the forum by the way!

I love my remicade, About 3 weeks ago i was on the verge of going to the hospital but i waited till after i gt my remicade, 2 days after getting it i felt like i could run a marathon. Works wonders for me, and don't have any side affects that i know of.

Worked for me for a little while...not really working currently. But they are upping my dose next visit.

Remicade is a miracle drug! I have been on it since 10/06 and I still have my intestines. But, you might want to think about a couple of things. Once you start, you can't stop (or you can't start back up) Also, there are some serious side effects, but you must weigh out the pros and cons. For me it was worth it. Although, I have gotten some serious infections immediately following infusions... can't prove that they were directly related to the Remicade. Currently, I am in a pinch because it has been 9 weeks since my last infusion and I am not cleared to take the next dose... I only have 3 weeks to get cleared then my doc will pull the plug on the Remicade. That's Just my 2 cents. I really wouldn't worry too much about the side effects because the chances of getting any are very small.

i was on remi and methotrexate together and it worked pretty decently for a couple years. i have never had remission, but that was as close as ive ever gotten. i also never had any side effects, just an increased risk of getting colds and things, which is expected for an immunosuppressant.
good luck.

Remicade has worked wonders for me recently, i have been on it since October with no side effects at all. I have had the odd flare up (probably about 4/5 since i started) but they have only lasted me a day at most, so I am grateful for what Remicade has done for me.
Hope it works out for you.

I was on Remicade for a while. It worked well to start with but then the effects wore off. Shame really as when it was working I felt amazing!

Lom - good to see a fellow UK person on here!!

I thought Remi was working for me, but about 5 weeks after my third infusion, I ended up being one of the statistics (you know, the "serious side effects"). I ended up in the hospital for 13 days (in ICU on a ventilator for 10 or 11 after heart and lung surgery) with a "lupus-like" reaction to the Remicade. I'm not trying to scare you because this is rare, but the possibility of a serious side effect or reaction is there. It has definitely been a "miracle drug" for lots of people, though. Good luck on your decision and treatment.

Lisa

Yer good to see the UK crohnie's on here Colin! (there is a few more on here as well!)

If you need to talk to me about the Remicade then don't hesitate to PM me.