• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

RemiStart

Has anyone every had any issues with RemiStart program? My son, 18, just diagnosed and will need to go on this to close fistulas. It scares me. The medicine and the costs.

thank you.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Remicade is the best way to get heal fistula's but we are all different. I had problems in my 3rd infusion but it was rare. Most people if they get past the 3rd or 4th infusion, it will most likely work for them. Yes the cost is high. Here in Canada it is $4,100 a in infusion and I forget how many infusions there are right off. I was on it 3 or more years ago so I forget. There are risks but there is with any medication, as is surgery. What is your main concern?

Hope it works for your son, and he gets relief. Keep us posted. When is the remistart to begin? Hang in there!

Jessi

I haven't used RemiStart. That program is for people with insurance. I applied directly to J&J for financial help because I have no insurance. But I think I remember reading that RemiStart will cover $500 per vial per infusion, after your insurance covers their share. Often, this means that you end up paying nothing. I hope it works out well... financially and health-wise. I get mine for free, and the drug put me in remission. Very happy about that! :D

Yes, RemiStart is a great program. After having the infusion, they ask me to send a copy of the Explanation of Benefits (or invoice, or similar document) from the insurance company. Then they send me a check for $400 or $500 (I forget the exact amount - it's been a while). It's very helpful! Highly recommended!

Dave