• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remsima?

Hi there!

Today I got the happy (or sad?) news that I will be starting remicade in september. The nurse told me that it wouldn't be remicade but instead remsima. After some time googeling i found out that remsima is a biosimilar to remicade with the same active ingridient infliximab.

However I barely found any stories from people using remsima. So now I wonder if anyone here have taken remsima?

Are there any difference between remsima and remicade at all?
Just curious also if anyone knows the market price for remsima?

///Christofer

Honestly, it is entirely possible I had been taking remsima. The pharmacy is allowed to substitute a generic if has the same active ingredient as the brand name. I image a lot more people are on the generic then realize it. Good luck though!

Honestly, it is entirely possible I had been taking remsima. The pharmacy is allowed to substitute a generic if has the same active ingredient as the brand name. I image a lot more people are on the generic then realize it. Good luck though!
It depends where you are re substitution. In Alberta (where I live) biosimilars are not considered the same as generic and are not allowed to be substituted without consulting with your doctor about a switch.

That said in the studies that have been done the results have been pretty equal to Remicade. Note they have extrapolated some data. ( they did not do studies on every indication it was approved for, they allowed it to be approved for some things based on studies in rats and on the make up of the protein. )

Overall I think it should be fine. It is very unlikely that if you don't respond to this, you would have responded to Remicade.

It depends where you are re substitution. In Alberta (where I live) biosimilars are not considered the same as generic and are not allowed to be substituted without consulting with your doctor about a switch.

That said in the studies that have been done the results have been pretty equal to Remicade. Note they have extrapolated some data. ( they did not do studies on every indication it was approved for, they allowed it to be approved for some things based on studies in rats and on the make up of the protein. )

Overall I think it should be fine. It is very unlikely that if you don't respond to this, you would have responded to Remicade.
That is really interesting! Here in the United States, there is actually a big sign in all pharmacies that states that " Law permits pharmacist to substitute a less expensive therapeutically equivalent drug for a brand name drug without notification, unless instructed otherwise by the physician or patient."

Seems like in other countries that is not the norm. I think that I have been on a brand name medication only a handful of times in my life due to this law. For example, I know my Cimzia is brand name because there is no generic but, my Lexapro and Plaquenil are both generic and I did not get to choose this, they were just filled that way.

Well best of luck! I am sure it will work the same as the Remicade as long as it has the same concentration of the active ingredient. I know there are strict laws in this country about testing to make sure the generics offered are therapeutically equivalent.

Generic meds here are interchangeable. Remicade is I believe my only "brand name" drug. The big thing is that in Canada they have declared Biosimars are not genetics and so they get heir own special rules.

Regardless if you are just starting infliximab I'm sure it will be fine.

For some biosimilars, in some countries they are being approved for some things but not others. It seems there was a post about this recently. It seems on one country the biosimilars had been approved for RA, psoriatic arthritis, AS a few other but not CD or UC.

I think you can find the articles with a Google search of remsima and approval.

For some biosimilars, in some countries they are being approved for some things but not others. It seems there was a post about this recently. It seems on one country the biosimilars had been approved for RA, psoriatic arthritis, AS a few other but not CD or UC.

I think you can find the articles with a Google search of remsima and approval.
Yes, I did mention this in one post I did after someone posted an article I think. In Canada Inflectra (the other Remicade biosimilar) is not approved for crohns or UC. Health Canada said their was small differences and due to the fact we aren't 100 percent one exactly why Remicade works for IBD ( they believe it is the anti TNF mechanism however it doesn't explain why some anti tnf drugs work and others don't)

Hi there!

Today I got the happy (or sad?) news that I will be starting remicade in september. The nurse told me that it wouldn't be remicade but instead remsima. After some time googeling i found out that remsima is a biosimilar to remicade with the same active ingridient infliximab.

However I barely found any stories from people using remsima. So now I wonder if anyone here have taken remsima?

Are there any difference between remsima and remicade at all?
Just curious also if anyone knows the market price for remsima?

///Christofer
Hi I am due to start Remsima on 14th March. As I understand it Remsima is a biosimikar made from both mice protein & human protein. I am in the UK and the price here is £12000 plus for a years supply of Remacade and £9000 plus for Remsima. I hade the choice of Remsima or Humira but chose Remsima as I didn't want the responsibility of storing hHmira plus I like the idea of having 2 months between infusions. Hope this helps will revert with news of how it went. Best wishes to you....