• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reoccurring Abscesses

I have battled with abscesses and fistulas for several years. I currently have a seton in, which has been in place for about 9 months. Since then two abscesses have grown next to the seton. I had them drained and did the antibiotic thing. Now it seems I have two more abscesses – one near the seton and another one further up on my bottom. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow. Remicade almost killed me and Humira didn’t work. My insurance won’t approve Cimza. We are appealing that now. What do I do to keep the abscesses away? When does a more drastic measure like surgery need to be considered. And what type of surgery would help? Appreciate any ideas, experiences, etc. I am frustrated and desperate.

Thanks!
Beth

Hi Beth
I am sorry that you are going through this. I have a couple fistulas and have had 3 abscesses drained so far so I get where you are coming from. I hate to say it, but I have never heard of a surgery that prevents abscesses from forming in the first place. They can happen anywhere.