• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reported Drug Side Effects: xRisk.org Remicade in top 10!

There's a relatively new website for helping to track drug side effects called xrisk.org. I just looked at the top 10 drugs with reported side effects since 2004 and I was absolutely shocked to see Infleximab (Remicade) in the number 5 spot. It looks like the data comes directly from the FDA.

So if you look at the Current Top 10 it's number 4. If you look at the top 10 for the last decade it's number 5.

www.rxisk.org/

kiny

Etanercept is number 1 on that site, Humira is number 2 and number 4 is natalizumab and 5 is infliximab. They're all drugs used for crohn's disease.

1, 2, 4 and 5 of the most dangerous medication is medication for crohn's disease.

Infliximab claimed the most lives of any drugs when it was released outside of painkiller overdoses.

Number one priority should be safer drugs instead of testing new drugs that are just as dangerous.

kiny

Regarding natalizumab, many people with crohn's disease died on those trials, you'll need access to those papers but I've read them, it caused many deaths.

FDA had to pull the drug for crohn's disease because they had many hospitals reporting deaths on their trials. Same thing happened in Europe, many state hospitals had deaths and they pulled the drug for crohn's disease.

Vedolizumab is the derivative of natalizumab and they claim it's safer, I don't believe it for one bit.

The fact GI are willing to ignore cannabis for their patients becaus of "side effects" but have no issues running trials and having multiple people dying in their hospitals on their watch is completely and utterly beyond my comprehension.

Deaths related to crohn's disease have not gone down, they have stayed the same throughout decades, and part of the equation is deaths from drugs that are much higher than they used to be.

I really couldn't believe when some GI started talking about the top-down approach, luckily some have come back from that idea, you can not leave patients on those drugs for years. I truly thought they lost it when they started saying how wonderful the top-down approach would be for patients. This was also at a time when they were using combo therapy, which thank God they have stopped doing now.

kiny

In some way I am hopeful. Part of this hope stems from the fact that many third world countries are getting crohn's diease, they can not afford expensive synthetic drugs, they tend to have easy access to antibiotics, opoids and natural derivatives though. The more synthetic your drug is the more dangerous it tends to be, this is the case for antibiotics too, semi-synthetic antibiotics are a lot safer than their synthetic counterparts. This geographic diversion of crohn's disease will mean competition for the West from semi-synthetic compounds which means their drugs will need to be safer to compete.

Wow. I was on Remicade for 6 years and all I heard about was how it's such a wonderful drug and it's safe. I would bet anything that the physicians who treated me had no idea what they were doing with respect to the risk they were taking.

And since you mentioned cannabis I did a sort blog post about a survey that crohnology.com did. It basically showed that medical marijuana was a more effective treatment than any other drug. It's not a great survey and the work needs to be redone but still, it's very useful to see where things are really pointing when data gets collected.
Here's the link: http://bit.ly/T7taG7