• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Research review of enteral therapy 2013

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi guys,

maybe these links have been posted before but here are two 2013 reviews about EN and Crohns in medical journals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3870077/

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/abstract/v19/i43/7652.htm
(find PDF version on left)

I am just about to start a course of Vivonex Plus (elemental) in hope to treat a chronic arthritis thought to be related to crohn's, but independant of gut inflammation (type 2 peripheral arthritis) My crohns is in remission at this time. My personal research have led me to find that elemental diet has even been under study for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with encouraging findings. I do not have RA, but trying the elemental diet seems for me to be definately worth the try.

LO

Last edited:

Spooky1

~Thanks for the links again, Lady. How did the Vivonex diet go for you? Many of us crohn's sufferer's also have arthritis. I believe mine is getting a bit better and it's either the memory foam pillows and mattress or the D3 with K2. I've started taking Krill oil instead of ordinary omega. Mind, we have just had one of the mildest winters going. However, I can get very painful red swellings even in summer.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Spooki, just saw your message. I did try the VIVONEX PLUS for 3 weeks. I gained maybe a minimal improuvement, but nothing significant to say it was a success. I've heard about Krill oil too, I take regular fish oil at this point. I even tried huge amount like 10 gm of fish oil/day for 2 months or so and again no significant improuvement. does anything you are doing right now seem to help?

Last edited:

Spooky1

Tbh, lady, I despair at trying all these different things. I haven't known significant improvement in many years. So I don't really have any advice for you, just sympathy of course.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Spooky, yes I understand its discouraging at times. I have my moments too. Right now Im trying wheat grass juice and probiotics VSL-3 and I am also back at doing 16 hour water fast one day a week.

Spooky1

Hi, Lady, can I ask about results of wheat grass juice and the probiotics? I'm always wanting to know a bit more and give things I haven't tried a go. I've certainly never had wheat grass juice.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Spooky,

I think its too soon to speak of results at this point. Its been about 15 days I started both. All I can say is that I tolerate both very well. I am going to increase VSL-3 to 2 paquets per day. VSL-3 appears to be the most diverse and powerful probiotics on the market with some recent study concluding in its help for maintaining remission in UC and after pouchitis. Unfortunately there is corn starch in it to keep the bacteria alive. However the good news is that I called the compagny and they comfirmed to me the corn starch is GMO free (well the canadian version). Its supposed to help restore positive gut flora, so I belive it could help also for arthritis which is also hypothezed to be gut related.

Wheat grass juice is highly praised by naturopaths and detox and nutrition passionnates, it is said to be extremly anti-oxydant. They use a lot of it at the Hippocrate institute in Florida. I also take 2 teaspoons of tumeric/curcuma per day combined with olive oil and continue taking omega fish oil but to a smaller degree I used to take.

I must add that I started swimming recently. Doing sports is good for immune system and also fights depression. i really want to give a real try this time and not stop as I now truly understand physical activity may be as important as good food for optimal health and disease and cancer prevention. Im highly motivated. and I started walking much faster since my ankles are good at this moment.

Last edited:

Spooky1

Wow, sounds positive, Lady. I have just started Bimuno pastilles, unfortunately I didn't see that one ingredient is from milk, but seeing as I've paid for them I ought to try them. They are a prebiotic and aimed at IBS so whether they will help the crohns, I don't know. But I might try wheat grass.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Spooky,

maybe your new probiotics may only contain ''possible traces'' of milk... which is often the case with most probiotics if im correct.

Here is a research on wheat grass juice in UC with positive results:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11989836

The easiest way to try it is the frozen version prepacked individually. I take 1 capsule/shot a day and as tomorrow I will increase at 2 per day. price is about 1$ per capsule. BTW even if this is wheat grass, it doesnt contain gluten so it ok for people who do not consume gluten.