• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

RETREAT created just FOR IBD

Come Join us at our Crohn's Journey Retreat from September 13-15, in Ojai, CA. (originally was scheduled for May but due to conflict of scheduling, needed to postpone to September) This retreat is created to provide a haven for those who are diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, as well as Ulcerative Colitis.
We encourage you to bring a significant other to expereince this amazing weekend alongside of you. We take the best of eastern and western medicine and combine it into a weekend where you will learn the following:
  • Meditation and Yoga: Led by licensed yoga teacher, Molly O'Leary.
  • Cooking Class focusing on teaching tips/techniques to make foods more belly friendly: Let by Chef Robin Goldstein
  • The Newest Medication/Treatment for IBD: Led by UCLA's IBD Clinical Nurse, Elizabeth Inserra
  • Alternative Treatment for IBD symptoms, as well as tips to sustain remission: Led by licensed acupucturist, Tamra Zummallen
  • Support Group Focusing on Emotions and Thoughts that come with having IBD: Let by a licensed therapist
  • Acupucture: 25 minutes of consultation and acupucture to all retreaters by licensed acupuncturist, Tamara Zummallen

Massages will be available, at cost, to provide extra love to your body. You will be able to enjoy beautiful nature walks and hikes during your free time.

Meals specific to your dietary needs will be provided. Materials will be provided to leave you filled with multitudes of knowledge that you will acquire during your stay!

If you have any questions please email me at
sarah@thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org

To read even more about the retreat and get pricing go here: http://thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org/tcjfretreats/ojai-retreat/

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
I've been speaking to Sarah at length and approved her posting this. I personally think it's a really neat idea and am considering going myself if I can afford it (iffy). While it's not a crohnsforum.com sanctioned event as we don't know just how good of a job they're going to do, in speaking with Sarah, I get the feeling she is doing everything she can to put on a really great retreat.

If any of you do end up going to this, please reply to this thread with your honest and thorough critique, whether good or bad. I know Sarah is planning to hold more retreats and if she does a great job, I want to make sure everyone knows about it.

I've been speaking to Sarah at length and approved her posting this. I personally think it's a really neat idea and am considering going myself if I can afford it (iffy). While it's not a crohnsforum.com sanctioned event as we don't know just how good of a job they're going to do, in speaking with Sarah, I get the feeling she is doing everything she can to put on a really great retreat.

If any of you do end up going to this, please reply to this thread with your honest and thorough critique, whether good or bad. I know Sarah is planning to hold more retreats and if she does a great job, I want to make sure everyone knows about it.
Thanks David! I hope to make many of my IBDers proud and always open for suggestions and critique, how else do we expect improve and get better in things we do :).

afidz

Super Moderator
This sounds like a great idea and I may be able to swing it, I just have to look at my school schedule. I now CrohnsChicago has been looking at things like this, she may be interested too

This sounds like a great idea and I may be able to swing it, I just have to look at my school schedule. I now CrohnsChicago has been looking at things like this, she may be interested too
Would love to have you come and please let me know if you have any questions ...

I can't make this for obvious airmile reasons, but just wanted to say I think that what you're doing is great! I hope it helps a lot of people and you all have a fantastic time.

I can't make this for obvious airmile reasons, but just wanted to say I think that what you're doing is great! I hope it helps a lot of people and you all have a fantastic time.
Thank you so much! I appreciate all the kind words I can get! :) I am very excited about this and I hope one day you can make it to one of the retreats!

It sounds like great fun. I think it would also be good for your partners to see how other couples cope and that you as a couple are not alone with trying to cope with the disease. I am in South Africa and wish we could have something like this here.

It sounds like great fun. I think it would also be good for your partners to see how other couples cope and that you as a couple are not alone with trying to cope with the disease. I am in South Africa and wish we could have something like this here.
Thank you and I agree, that is why i encourage people to bring a significant other with them if they would like ... i hope one day to head over there and host a retreat... my goal, as crazy and as big as it is, is to reach the world and help all with IBD :)

Hey just wanted to let you know.. we were able to get a special deal from the retreat center to reduce the price for those who RSVP by March 25.. hopefully the new prices may help convince you to come :)This is our special price offer until March 25. After prices are subject to change after March 25.

The cost of this 2 night 3 day, all inclusive retreat, which included food, activities and speakers comes to:
(all rooms include a small refrigerators and microwaves, private bathroom and towels/bathroom necessities unless specified otherwise)

$750 for single occupancy: one queen bed, one bathroom Private Cottage
$925 for double occupancy: one queen bed, one bathroom Private Cottage
$1,100 for triple occupancy: one sofa bed, one queen bed, two bedroom Private Cottage
$690 for single occupancy: one queen bed and shared bathroom
$875 dollars for double occupancy: one queen bed and shared bathroom
If you would like to attend the talks and meals provided at the retreat but prefer to not sleep over, here is the breakdown of what it would cost to participate:

$60: Participate in Friday nights cooking class and dinner.
$100: Saturday day retreat (includes: yoga, breakfast, GI speaker, lunch, Holistic speaker, nature walks, Licensed therapist led support group, dinner and meditation)

HEY EVERYONE!!! i wanted to give you a heads up and let you know the dates of the retreat changed and is pushed back to Sept 13-15 due to some scheduling conflicts we encountered! hope to see your amazing faces their and email me if you have any questions! sarah@thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org xx sending love to all of your bellies!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sounds pretty cool:) Would it be possible to please share the info obtained at this event for those not able to participate? Good luck and hope all goes well for you Sarah!

David, do you now if there is anyway to get help paying for this retreat? And if there any scheduled on the eastcoast?

Thank you, Kinsey:)

Hey Everyone! i wanted to give you a bit of an update on the retreat!
FOOD: it will be all organic, sustainable local foods, all dairy free, primarily gluten free, and donation of coconut water for all

WEST/EAST: MEETING with the IBD NURSE from the UCLA team to discuss topics that we will want to cover at the retreat.. let me know if there is a topic you would like to be covered!

YOGA/MEDITATION: Molly is setting up an incredible sequence all focusing on digestion, aiding in reducing depression, aid in increasing energy and more!

Health Coach! We just signed up the incredible Anita to lead our group at night focusing on self talk and the emotions attached to having IBD...

Oh and so much more coming we are working on!! hope to see all your incredible faces there and email me if you have any ?'s or looking for a roommate to go to the retreat with! sarah@thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi Sarah!

sounds like fun!

Can you elaborate on who Molly and Anita are and the credentials of them and others leading the retreat programs? It can help others make an informed decision on whether or not this retreat is a good fit for them.

Thanks

Hey Everyone! i wanted to give you a bit of an update on the retreat!
FOOD: it will be all organic, sustainable local foods, all dairy free, primarily gluten free, and donation of coconut water for all

WEST/EAST: MEETING with the IBD NURSE from the UCLA team to discuss topics that we will want to cover at the retreat.. let me know if there is a topic you would like to be covered!

YOGA/MEDITATION: Molly is setting up an incredible sequence all focusing on digestion, aiding in reducing depression, aid in increasing energy and more!

Health Coach! We just signed up the incredible Anita to lead our group at night focusing on self talk and the emotions attached to having IBD...

Oh and so much more coming we are working on!! hope to see all your incredible faces there and email me if you have any ?'s or looking for a roommate to go to the retreat with! sarah@thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org

Hi Sarah!

sounds like fun!

Can you elaborate on who Molly and Anita are and the credentials of them and others leading the retreat programs? It can help others make an informed decision on whether or not this retreat is a good fit for them.

Thanks
Yes I can :) It is an incredible and highly qualified team. (I copied and pasted this below from the post we have that has even more details on the site: http://thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org/tcjfretreats/ojai-retreat/)

Meditation and Yoga (led by licensed yoga teacher, Molly O’Leary)

Cooking Class (focusing on teaching tips/techniques to make foods more belly friendly: Led by chef Robin Goldstein)

The newest medication/treatments for IBD (led by ULCA IBD clinical nurse, Elizabeth Inserra)

Alternative treatment for IBD symptoms, as well as tips to sustain remission (led by licensed acupuncturist, Tamara Zummallen)

Support group focusing on emotions and thoughts that come with having Crohn’s Disease (led by a licensed health coach: Anita Alvalos)

Acupuncture (25 minutes of consultation and acupuncture to all retreaters by licensed acupuncturist, Tamara Zummallen)

I hope that helps clarify who will be the speakers and contributors at the retreat. Please let me know if you have any other questions! I am very happy you asked about this :) because i have a LOT of pride on the team that is coming!

Hey Everyone! i wanted to clarify some things about the retreat based on a handful of emails I have been getting. 1) ALL IBDers are welcome, not just those with Crohn's and 2) if you want, you definitely can just come for the day if you are close to Ojai, CA (aka live in LA or SB) and want to come down just for saturday to experience all the speakers, yoga, meditation, support group lead by the health coach and bonding with other IBDers... YOU can also pick and choose from that if you want! I hope that clarifies some things for you all and hope to see you there