• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reversal - still waiting

R

ruthymg

reversal - still waiting

so, I was told in February that my anal fistulae had healed and I could have the reversal surgery. I was naturally pleased with the news and hoped that I would soon get a date. No such luck. . . . . . .I phoned the surgeons secretary yesterday to see what the delay was and she said that my surgeon had written to my gastro and was waiting for a reply. I told her I had just received a letter telling me that my gastro check up app had been changed from June to August. She didn't know what to make of that and said she would find out what the situation was, but that I would be waiting a while for the surgery as they had a long list. I'm quite frustrated by her response, I thought I was on that list and so would have been slowely moving up it, it now appears not. It appears that for the last 2 and a half months I have been forgotten about!!!!

So, we shall see what she comes back to me with. Just thought I would update you guys and have a little moan in the process.

Ruth

Unfortunately this type of thing is seen too often. I am sorry to hear that you will have to wait longer than anticipated. I know that I will be thinking of you and hoping for a quick response!!! Take care until. :ycool:

G

Gravity Jim

I'm sorry they're delaying things, Ruthy. But at least you're feeling better... hang in, and soon this will be a memory.

Sorry to hear that your surgery date is unknown.
Life just sucks big times.(SOMETIMES) How often
have we all heard of this. Here we are all waiting
(even by the phone so we wont miss that call)
for the important call which hardly ever happens.
I have been waiting 5 months for the Dr. decision
on what to do with my fistulas.Well finally an answer
I have to tell him on May 22nd if I want the surgery
or not (the bag and stoma thing) I think they call it
an illeostomy. I still cant make my mind up on that
question. To have or have not the surgery. I'm pretty
scared, I just don't know what to do.

Goodluck Ruth
I would just keep calling him all the time tell them that your
very irate and that it wasn't your fault that THEY messed up
your surgery date and how unfair this is and that you would
like this problem looked after ASAP seeing how it wasn't your
fault in the begining.Your paper work probably got pushed away.
How ever this is only my opinion. I would be supper MAD.

Goodluck Tammy

tonya_n_ky

Hugzzz Ruth!! Just go on vacation and have fun until they call...lol. I would keep calling back often though so they don't "totally" forget about ya. I know you were looking forward to getting rid of the bag. But you never know how you'll feel after and right now you seem to be feeling pretty good so just enjoy feeling well and have some fun. :)

R

ruthymg

Thanks for all your replies. I still haven't had that phone call I was waiting for so, come monday I'm gonna call the hospital again!!! Cos I have nothing else better to do!!!! yeah right!! Anyways, I'm not going to get too down about it as I don't want to spoil my holiday next week (yes - holiday!!) can't wait, I'm actually quite proud of myself that I not only considered going abroad with a stoma bag but I have actually booked it! Mediterranean here we come, I'm so excited lol

Ruth

I

Ilysha

Good for you, Ruth. Enjoy your vacation and you can hit the phone campaign when you get back. I hope you can speed things along.

-Ilysha

L

Lee1975

Hope you've had the reversal by now and hope it all went well.

R

ruthymg

Hi all, well eventually I am due to have my reversal surgery!!!!!

I go in on the 19th March to have it done and at the moment I'm part anxious part excited. I really hope all goes well. I am planning on having a goodbye party for my stoma (we have become quite close!!!) its going to seem weird not having it. Anyway I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes. Watch this space!!

Ruth

D

Digits

congratulations! i hope all goes well!

wow, ive neverheard of people having to wait for surgeries. i guess here in alaska, theres not many people clamoring for these type of surgeries, lmao.

R

ruthymg

ha ha, thats weird, over here in the UK its quite common to be put on a waiting list for a none life threatening operation, wish it wasn't though.......

Ruth

Kev

Same here in Canada.. Socialized medicine has its drawbacks. Everyone gets their operation [EDIT] eventually, not just those who can afford it.

Last edited:

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hi Ruth,

I am so very pleased you finally have the date for reversal. Will be thinking of you on the 19th..

Enjoy the party!

Sending hugs your way.

R

ruthymg

So, they changed my date for the reversal to the 16th April. I expected to be cancelled again as they cancelled the March date the night before but, no, all went ahead. I arrived at the hospital at 7am (ridiculous time) and then had to wait 7 hours before they had a bed for me on the "theatre admissions unit". Even though I had been told in my appointment letter that a bed had been booked for me!!!! I eventually went down to surgery about 2.30 in the afternoon, and after about 40mins I was back in recovery. When I woke up I felt ok, a little sore but the morphine sorted that. Over the next 24-48hrs I waited and waited for my bowels to open (I had been told I could go home once they'd opened)
Eventually on the Saturday (I'd had the op on the wednesday) I was told I could go home, so feeling very tender I headed home with my husband. I spent all day in bed, feeling totally whacked, it didn't help that my bathroom is downstairs and every time I felt the need, I had to run down a flight of stairs!! I didn't think anything of the fact that I felt rough, as I'd only had surgery a couple of days before, until........I started to loose blood when I went to the loo. This wasn't just a small amount of blood either, anyway, I just thought it was post operative blood and went back to bed. I had 2 more incidents of blood loss in the toilet and the 3rd time I didn't manage to get out of bed quick enough and it went everywhere, literally. I couldn't control the bleeding, it was just running out of me, so at that point, I panicked!!!

My husband had to call an ambulance, I threw up twice, (shock I think) and was readmitted through accident and emergency......typical!!!

The doctor on call on the ward I was admitted to was an arrogant shit who insisted I have a catheter and tube up my nose (That I had to fit as the nurse couldn't do it right) and into my stomach (which might I add, I had no problem with) and thought it necessary to threaten to mark on my record that I had refused treatment if I didn't have them fitted. I only asked why I needed them fitting, what an asshole!!!

As if I wasn't feeling crappy enough without that idiot trying to make things worse!!

Anyway, after several tests it was discovered I had had some kind of haemorrage (post operative in between the staples) which had slowed on its own. I had to have constant bags of saline, potassium, glucose etc for 5 days though!!! The other thing they discovered was, I had contracted C Diff, Apparently they give you an antibiotic injection before surgery to prevent infection and this alters the natural flora balance in the intestine. They believe I was probably a carrier!! So instead of spending just 3 days in hospital, I've just spent 2 weeks in there, in isolation. Thankfully I am home now. I still need to continue with my antibiotics (Vancomycin) for another 10 days (already taken 10 days worth). I expected to have some discomfort but not anything like what I've experienced, 5 days after surgery, I was running to the loo 40 times a day!! 16 days down the line and I'm still going about 9/10 times, obviously thats partly due to the reversal and tha fact that I haven't used my colon for 2 years, but I should be going about 5-6 times a day they reckon. Why doesn't anything go easy for me. For those of you that are due for reversals, please note that what has happened to me rarely happens, I would hate to put anyone off. The good thing is though, I am now stoma and fistulae free (touch wood) and looking forward to returning back to work.

Kev

Hey Ruthy.. WOW. Here's hoping the remainder of your recovery is totally uneventful. Yeah, post op trips up or down stairs aren't fun. After my op I just moved to a floor w a bathroom, and stayed there for the duration of my recovery. Anyway, all the best. There's got to be better days ahead, right?

Hi Ruthy. Holy s***!. Haven't you suffered enough already! I don't think you could have written a better worst-case scenario than what you just went through. It just shows how strong of a person you are. If you can make it through this ordeal you can make it through anything else that comes your way. I hope you have a quick recovery and things can get back to "normal" for you.

R

ruthymg

Hi Guys........thanks for your replies. I can safely say now, that things are definately much better. BM's down to just 3 times a day (feel almost normal......woah better pinch myself!!!!) I'm still tender where I had the surgery but no longer need pain relief, just need to be careful in what I'm doing. The reversal was worth it in the long run.

Ruth