• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reversal??

reversal??

Hi
I'm just wondering how many out there have had there ostomy reveresed, how long it was after their initial surgery and how it went for them??
I see my surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss if/when to reverse my ileostomy.

Thanks

M

Ian

Hi Mussen,

Is it a standard reversal you'd be having (connecting whatever you have left to the rectum/anus), or would it be a j-pouch since you have UC? I think the surgeries are somewhat different so the responses you get might depend on which one people have had done.

I had mine reversed about 6 months after, the surgery was just as hard as the first minus the sepsis I suffereed the first time around. I healed ok and 6 or 7 years later I havent had to have another surgery.

Terriernut

I am 8 months on from surgery. As I have Crohns a J pouch isnt an option for me. I'd like to have a reversal at some point. But frankly with the parastomal hernia surgery on the 7th of Sept and the inability to take immunosuppresants before that..it will be a long while before I look at a reversal.

I am of two minds for a reversal. I have heard from several people that the reversal was much worse than the original surgery. And the thought of going thru that again is a bit of a scary thing!!! Also, I'm afraid my employer just wouldnt tolerate any time off from me. As it is, I booked 'holiday time' for my hernia surgery recovery. ( I'll PRETEND I'm in Tahiti!!!)

Also, the thought of toilet visiting 25+ times a day/night doesnt thrill me in the least!!!!!
Perhaps I am just a wimp.

Hi Mussen,

Is it a standard reversal you'd be having (connecting whatever you have left to the rectum/anus), or would it be a j-pouch since you have UC? I think the surgeries are somewhat different so the responses you get might depend on which one people have had done.

Good point Ian, I kinda assumed the j-pouch--U/C option. I think my appointment in 2weeks is when we discuss the whole a-z details of it all.
But I think I would be happy to hear from anyone whos had a reversal regardless of the details, the more info to help the better I guess.

thanks
M

I had a reversal, and had 2 big complications:
1) big old infection on incision, had to take out staples to drain and pack. Basically any bowel surgery you get you run the risk of this. It's not just a reversal risk.
2) ileus. Yikes. Bowels go into sort of a shock after being handled from surgery. You keep nothing down. Not even your own bile. NG tube has to be used to pump your stomach 24/7 and relieve pressure on your bowels. This lasted 11 days for me.

Even after all of that the recovery I have found to be much more painful and tiresome than the others. But still it's all been worth it to me!

Thanks poolside, glad to hear is was worth it for you even though there were complications.
I developed ileus after my colectomy surgery in March this year.......I ended up having NG tubes three times, as when they thought everything was going well it kept coming back. I hope it doesn't happen again...it's still a little bit too fresh in my mind. I was in hospital for 4weeks then home for a week and a half then back to hospital for another 8days.
I never regretted getting the surgery either,which I guess is the most important thing to take away from it all.

M

Wow, to spend 4 weeks there and then come home and have to go back in must have been heartbreaking for you!
And having the re-insert that blasted NG tube in you! That was my biggest fear after they finally took it out! I have to admit it sure did relieve the horrible nausea almost instantly, but it still would have been upsetting to have them do it again..

I had an ileostomy and then the resection 3 months later. The first surgery was the hardest for me cause I had a major infection going on. The resection wasn't bad at all and I was out of the hospital in a week! My surgeon left my incision site open and I had to pack it daily but I didn't have any infection issues.

ameslouise

Hi Mussen - I was originally dx with UC and had my colon removed, a j pouch built and subsequent ileo reversal. It was great! I had six great years. Unfortunately, I was re-dx with Crohns in 2009. But don't let that scare you. I think I read somewhere that it's only about 10% of j-pouchers that are eventually re-dx with Crohns. Those are odds I would take again if I had to do it all over.

I will admit that I was feeling so good with my temporary ileo that I had second thoughts about getting it reversed. But I am glad I did. I had 6 great years with my j-pouch.

Good luck. Making the decision for surgery is never an easy one.

-Amy